Pauls Corals

Provide feedback on club members - buyers and sellers (not stores). Also you can include feedback on trades and group-orders.

Moderator: BraenDead

Pauls Corals

Postby bradnamber on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm

I purchased a birds nest from Paul this year, and it seemed to not like the plastic bin it was packaged in. I live right down the road from the swaps location, and went directly there to start acclimating. In just one hour of acclimating, the polyps began falling off, and a brown sludge formed where the coral was touching the plastic container. At this point, i wasnt about to put it in my tank, so i let it go for another hour, and the coral completly died, and turned the water brown enough to not be able to see through it. So, by the time the frag swap was over, this coral had taken a dive....

Im not here to put any bad words about Paul or his corals at all, because every year for the last three I have purchased something from him, and it has always been very healthy. I was just looking foreward for half this year to get one of his birdsnests.

If anybody has any contact info for him, that would be great, as his domain name has expired, and has not been renewed.

Also, did anybody else have the same thing happen?...

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Re: Pauls Corals

Postby beansandmia on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 am

heard they are going out of buisness. they are on WRS
Proud member of the Madison Area Reef Society
http://www.madisonreef.com
beansandmia

Postby shoota on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:25 am

I def vouch for brad, he has been reefkeeping longer than I have, well over 5 years and very knowledgeable in the hobby. I was with him during the swap, we drove together. We got there at 12:30 or so, made one lap around while I collected my pre-swap purchases and brad bought a few frags. Paul's Corals was our last stop before we hit the door. We were there maybe total of an hour and we had everything in a small cooler. We drove back to brads place, literally less than 5 min away. He threw his stuff in his tank to acclimate as soon as we got there. We chatted for a few mins and then I went home to start acclimating my stuff in my tank. He called me less than an hour later and said it was sludge :cry:
shoota

Postby O&J'sdad on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't know if you did or not, but birdsnests seem to have a horrible reaction to air. I have had them die from just a couple minutes out of the water.
O&J'sdad

Postby Rueg on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

My birdsnest is exposed to air everytime I do a water change - just for a few minutes - but never a issue.
Rueg

Postby DDD33 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm

I did have the same thing occur. I bought a piece my 10yr old wanted and they put it in the tupperware and when we got home and I opened it the water looked nasty and the frag was bleached. I have also had very good luck with paul's stuff in the past and the other item I bought from him is doing fine. The birds nest however is all white with a couple of spots of color, so I hope it some how come back. I was incouraged by how hardy he said it was but it definately didn't like the trip home.
DDD33

Postby jelly on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 am

I bet if you would call paul coarls he would give you a new one.I do have his # if you need it.Paul is a stand up guy and would like to now what happend too.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby gammer_100 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am

The 3 corals I got from paul.. 2 stags and a spagoda, are all doing fine. Maybe it was just the B-nests? I almost picked up one of the b-nests but I'm kinda glad I didn't now.
Travis
gammer_100

Postby bradnamber on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks for all the help everybody. I got pauls number from shoota, who got it from Jelly... Thanks Jelly.

He has always been a great guy, so Im assuming he will rectify the situation. Its not necessarially about the 20 bucks, I just dont want him to use the plastic containters if that is whats causing the problem. Maybe the plastic containers leached some crazy chinese phosphates, and POW...lol.. Under an hour, turned it to GOOO... lol..

Thanks again,
Brad
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Return to Buyer/Seller Feedback