odysea vs coralife, nova extreme & others

Provide feedback on club members - buyers and sellers (not stores). Also you can include feedback on trades and group-orders.

Moderator: BraenDead

odysea vs coralife, nova extreme & others

Postby aquacrab on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 pm

I'm looking for some feedback on lights that I'm considering purchasing for my reef tank. Money is kind of tight these days so I'm trying to get the best deal possible. I'm looking for 48" MH 150 watt with 96 watt actinic. I only have $300 to spend. So I'm wondering if the odysea brand is worth the money or if people had trouble with them; if so what was the problem. Also is it easy to find replacement bulbs for them; are they reasonably priced? If I could afford the coralife I would purchase them. Would purchasing the odysea brand be a waste of money? Should I just save up my money untill I could afford the coralife?
Thanks
aquacrab

Re: odysea vs coralife, nova extreme & others

Postby mysteryship1 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:27 am

Save your money. As usual you only get what you pay for especially in this hobby called reef addiction. Most of us have a collection of stuff we just had to have right now at a good price. Be patient and go with the better light. Michael J.
mysteryship1

Re: odysea vs coralife, nova extreme & others

Postby Aimforever on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 pm

^+1

If money is tight watch the for sale forums on here and RC or wherever else you're a member and get a quality used fixture. Lighting is not an area you'll want to cut corners or you'll be dying to upgrade a short time down the road and will end up spending more money in the long run. Like Michael said, most of us learned this the hard way #-o

Specifically, the less expensive fixtures generally have small/poorly designed reflectors, noisy fans, inefficient/noisy ballasts and poor quality stock bulbs. This doesn't mean they won't work; lots of people use them use them with success, but I just wouldn't consider them a good investment. To get better output people often upgrade the bulbs, upgrade the ballasts and do other mods to get them working better when they could have spent less money buying a nicer used fixture in the beginning. Try searching for used Maristar, Current Outer Orbit etc.

One last thought, if you do decide to get a cheaper starter fixture, get a used one. Then when you eventually decide to upgrade you won't be out so much :D
Aimforever

Return to Buyer/Seller Feedback