Recent Help

Forum for Animart

Moderator: BraenDead

Recent Help

Postby luxauterna on Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to send out a thanks to Krista at Animart, and give them some props for being so helpful recently. I broke down my 40 breeder reef to set up a 135 in its place. I wanted to keep a few fish, corals, and some rock pieces but didn't have a spare tank to put these in. Krista allowed me to utilize a couple of their tanks to hold a few of my items until the new tank is set up. I was very happy with this for obvious reasons, and it was at no charge to myself.

Thank you again Krista!
luxauterna

Re: Recent Help

Postby Rueg on Thu May 17, 2012 1:05 pm

I would be careful about housing stuff at Animart. I wanted to bring in a yellow tang for some in-store credit. They said their system couldn't handle a yellow tang - that it would get sick and die. Yellow tangs are very hardy. If their system can't handle a yellow tang - well then I am not sure if I would trust it with any fish.
Rueg

Postby Animart on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:18 pm

No problem lux, thank's for being a loyal customer! :)

Rueg wrote:I would be careful about housing stuff at Animart. I wanted to bring in a yellow tang for some in-store credit. They said their system couldn't handle a yellow tang - that it would get sick and die. Yellow tangs are very hardy. If their system can't handle a yellow tang - well then I am not sure if I would trust it with any fish.

I'm not sure who you spoke with but it certainly wasn't me. In fact I just took in a larger yellow tang from a customer the other day. I have no problems with yellow tangs, I just prefer not to order them unless someone is specifically looking for one.

~Krista
Animart

Postby pjsonnentag on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Krista is extremely helpful and knowledgable. The issue I have been having lately at Animart is finding someone who can help half as much when she's not around. The employees seem enthusiastic enough and will to help, but the reef knowledge just isn't always there. I had to bite my tongue as I watched a few inverts leave the store in less than capable hands (based on what I overheard of the sale- but hopefully I was wrong).

Any way- usually pretty good livestock and a good coral selection. I see specimens there I rarely do other places, but there are always missing prices! Come on guys- not a great way to do business. I worked in a fish room in high school. It's not rocket surgery (i know- jk). There has to be a standard markup on coral. Someone should ALWAYS be around to look at the invoice and do the pricing if needed. I left empty handed yesterday and Animart missed out on a few nice coral sales because of this. Sorry guys, if you make it that hard to buy stuff.......someone else is more than will to take my money. I haven;given up on you, but help me out here.

:D
pjsonnentag

Postby pjsonnentag on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 am

Ok showed up when I was told to on Monday....still no Krista and still no prices on new corals. Tyler (I think his name was) was very apologetic and as helpful as he was allowed to be as far as pricing/ selling coral.

Tried Tuesday, no prices on corals.....but Krista was in! As always, she was very helpful. She stuck around after her shift to help me out and even cut me a deal on a purple polyp montipora and a gorgeous platygyra brain. We’ll see how they do in my tank. Assuming the new corals do well, I’ll be back.

Animart- please consider endowing someone else with the power to ID/ price corals and maybe encourage employees to take reef books home to be able to better help customers. I hate overhearing others getting misinformation from staff- they'll only be dissappointed and when the livestock dies and they'll blame Animart. I've worked in a fishroom where taking books home was a policy in the past. Customers really appreciate the knowledge it brings to a fish room staff and they keep coming back to spend money! :D

PS- fishroom looks great! keep up the good work.
pjsonnentag

Postby PinkLady on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:31 am

pjsonnentag wrote:Ok showed up when I was told to on Monday....still no Krista and still no prices on new corals.

Tried Tuesday, no prices on corals.....

Animart- please consider endowing someone else with the power to ID/ price corals and maybe encourage employees to take reef books home to be able to better help customers. I hate overhearing others getting misinformation from staff- they'll only be dissappointed and when the livestock dies and they'll blame Animart.

I second this. I've purchased quite a few things from Animart and am usually very happy with their service and their animals -- however it's extremely frustrating when I go in and there are missing prices, and unless Krista is there for someone to radio or grab, I leave empty-handed. I get told that a message will be left for Krista to take care of the issue and contact me, but I don't hear back. Then I go back a few days later, and the item is still not priced. I am given Krista's business card and send her an e-mail, and receive no response. I have been inquiring about the banded catshark that recently hatched for over 10 days now, and it still has no price. I've come in to purchase it 4 times now, and leave without it every time. The 2 times Krista has been there when I've inquired, she was unreachable by radio so the staff assisting me couldn't do anything. This isn't great customer service, especially when it's a repeat regular customer wanting to spend hard-earned money on livestock.

In regard to the education of staff, I also second this. Once in awhile I see a species that really should not be sold in the store to the public (such as purple nudibranches that only eat one type of sponge that is pretty much unobtainable -- sentencing the animal to a slow starvation death), or see a species being kept in the wrong environment (such as Atlantic stingrays being kept on black silicate substrate, shredding their discs until they are red and raw). I also hear from various staff about what different animals are being fed, and feel the frustration building. When I asked about the banded catshark the first time and whether it was eating or not, as they can often be hard to get going, I get told that it is being fed live ghost shrimp -- which is not an appropriate diet for any shark, baby or not. They make a nice snack or treat, but this shark needs to be eating krill, raw squid, chopped raw prawns, etc. supplemented with shark/ray vitamin gel. I ask whether they actually see it feeding on these shrimp, and the response is that "they know Krista drops them in there so they would assume they're being eaten". I then tell the staff how I would really like to purchase the shark ASAP in order to get it feeding properly as I have experience with quite a few of them, because the longer it goes without proper nutrition and proper food, the harder it will be to get it eating on the right foods and the less likely it is to survive. Then it goes into the whole not-being-priced thing and being unable to sell it.

I really feel like the lack of education amongst the staff and constant lack of pricing and inability to make decisions on pricing is detrimental to the animals, and detrimental to the customer relationship.
* Jen *

I live in a zoo...
PinkLady

Postby tickle on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 am

I was just there a week ago and stood in the fish room for 20 minutes where there was 3 employees and all I was told was Hi. No we will be with you, I finally decided to ask for help. And +2 on the No prices I drive a little over 40 minutes when I come from my house and it's frustrating when nobody can give me the price let alone tell me what the item is that I want. You don't sell cars when you know nothing about them and you shouldn't sell fish or coral when you know nothing about them. I know what they are and what they entail but that's not the point. On the plus side everything is looking good. I will continue to go back.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby SPSKeeper on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Was just there a little over a week ago and was extremely impressed with their SPS corals. Once this tank is ready there will be no hesitation in getting some of those beauties in the display. Remember folks, even the best fish stores get pests, no matter how much you scrub eggs can remain attached. It's your job as a hobbyist to dip, treat, and quarantine all corals you get from anywhere. I got red planaria from Fosters and Smith's display tank up in Rhinelander....
SPSKeeper

Postby pjsonnentag on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 am

Montipora wrote:Was just there a little over a week ago and was extremely impressed with their SPS corals. Once this tank is ready there will be no hesitation in getting some of those beauties in the display. Remember folks, even the best fish stores get pests, no matter how much you scrub eggs can remain attached. It's your job as a hobbyist to dip, treat, and quarantine all corals you get from anywhere. I got red planaria from Fosters and Smith's display tank up in Rhinelander....

I agree- the coral selection has been great lately. Prices are fair and the vast majority look quite healthy. I have been very satisfied with my recent coral purchases there.
Acropora humilis (good color, great polyp extention)
Cynorina sp. (huge and healthy, a difficult coral to come across)
Pocillopora hysritx (good polyp extention and new growth)

Unfortunately (as we all have voiced) Krista is the only one who can really provide any valuable information (I am fairly confident I've worked with almost everyone in the fish room). Also, I recently got a six-line wrasse there that showed signs of ich two days after purchase. He is active and eating well and cysts have cleared for now, but upon returning to the store, I noticed the same signs on a few of the more ich-prone species.

I will not be purchasing fish there anytime soon unless they start copper/ hyposalinity on the fish only tanks (not likely as inverst are kept in the fish tanks too). As for coral however- I have been pretty happy and plan to keep going back.

My advice to Animart- hire 3 more Kristas

See you again soon!
:D
pjsonnentag

Postby Tin_Whistler on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

pjsonnentag wrote:I will not be purchasing fish there anytime soon unless they start copper/ hyposalinity on the fish only tanks (not likely as inverst are kept in the fish tanks too). As for coral however- I have been pretty happy and plan to keep going back.

You'd be hard pressed to find a lfs anywhere that is completely ich free.

I don't shop at animart myself, But I can tell you i've seen ich on fish at Pet World, and Living Art. It's not economical at all for stores to treat the fish as that'd require all the fish remain in store for several weeks without being out on display being sold.

Treatment of ich, and preventing ich infested fish from getting into our systems, through proper QT and treatment, is up to the hobbyists.
Tin_Whistler

Return to Animart