Just a heads up.

Pet World in Madison, WI

Moderator: BraenDead

Just a heads up.

Postby SPSKeeper on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 pm

I went into pet world to buy some frags today and was a little hesitant at the sight of a rusting metal blade in the last frag tank. Overall the majority of the frags looked to be in good health, but just seeing that blade rusting away made me walk out of the store. It looked like it had been there for quite some time. The customer service was not that great either. I wish businesses with salt water systems could hire people who know and care about the hobby. I had to jump in a conversation the employee was having with a couple to save them from a huge headache down the road. They didn't even know what type of lighting they had, they were not ready for a goniopora for there clowns to host... I don't think I will ever be back there.
SPSKeeper
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Saltine on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am

I agree with this, I have never been too impressed by the customer service at Pet World in their fish department. I will never buy live stock there. Ever.

They do have a decent selection of seeder rock though.
Saltine
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby kanue6 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Wow, I go to Pet World at least once a wk. to see what Chris and his gang have! Not everyone in a pet store will know everything. Do you??? I wonder if any of you ever talked to Chris, Mike, Bobby, Todd? Chris has his coral propagation place in town and i would find it hard to believe that anyone could walk away from talking to him and think anything but he knows his stuff...Razor blade in a tank, not good, but can anyone tell me how that would have harmed any of the corals?...I think the turnaround in how that place looks is great! If for some reason you don"t want to shop there that's cool. more cool choices for me! They have frags at buy 2 get one free + i got a new 210 and got the stand at 1/2 off! I'll keep shopping there. Why knock down people who are trying to do a good job?
kanue6
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby SPSKeeper on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 am

The weird thing about your reply, is that you signed up just to defend them. Are you Mike, Chris, Todd, or Bobby? I never said I know everything. But are you telling me that suggesting a goniopora to people who have no idea what they are doing is good? Because that's just bad business practice if all you want is a sale. I have personally heard Paul from LA deny selling something to someone because it wasn't right for their tank. Metal that rusts in your tank is toxic, especially for inverts, and can leech deadly metals killing your corals. But if you like it, by all means toss a bunch of blades into your tank and be happy.
SPSKeeper
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Pet World on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:42 pm

The razor blade is out of the tank. All is good!!! Everything is happy and healthy!! BTW thanks for telling us when you were in the store so it could have been taken care of more promptly!!
User avatar
Pet World
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 pm
Location: 2148 West Beltline Hwy. Madison, WI 53713

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Montipora wrote: Because that's just bad business practice if all you want is a sale. I have personally heard Paul from LA deny selling something to someone because it wasn't right for their tank.


I'm not out to defend Pet World, so you know. I agree totally with Montipora, and I think that there are many other things that could have been criticized, too. But: it is apparently very good business practice to get a sale at any cost. Why do I say this? Because I can think of a very large list of wildly successful businesses that operate in just this fashion. Customers (humans generally, actually) have very short memories -- think of all the national businesses that have screwed people royally and yet we still throw money at them. Also, customer turnover in the aquarium hobby is pretty fast, and Pet World caters mostly to new hobbyists in all their departments. Pet World has been operating exactly the same for what, 20 years, and is still in business.

People like Paul are (I assume from the little I've talked to Paul) in the business for reasons that are less than completely financial. Sure, Paul has to pay his bills, but I don't think that he sees money walking out the door when he turns down a sale. I think he sleeps better at night because of it, and that's the end of it. That's one reason LA is a real and good LFS.

Pet World is not an LFS. Nor is Animart, nor any other dog food dealer with a saltwater section. Expecting them to be all (or even some) of the things that we expect an LFS to be is going to be a frustrating experience, as Montipora makes clear.
Socratic Monologue
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Oxford, WI

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby meisen on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Socratic Monologue wrote:
Montipora wrote: Because that's just bad business practice if all you want is a sale. I have personally heard Paul from LA deny selling something to someone because it wasn't right for their tank.


I'm not out to defend Pet World, so you know. I agree totally with Montipora, and I think that there are many other things that could have been criticized, too. But: it is apparently very good business practice to get a sale at any cost. Why do I say this? Because I can think of a very large list of wildly successful businesses that operate in just this fashion. Customers (humans generally, actually) have very short memories -- think of all the national businesses that have screwed people royally and yet we still throw money at them. Also, customer turnover in the aquarium hobby is pretty fast, and Pet World caters mostly to new hobbyists in all their departments. Pet World has been operating exactly the same for what, 20 years, and is still in business.

People like Paul are (I assume from the little I've talked to Paul) in the business for reasons that are less than completely financial. Sure, Paul has to pay his bills, but I don't think that he sees money walking out the door when he turns down a sale. I think he sleeps better at night because of it, and that's the end of it. That's one reason LA is a real and good LFS.

Pet World is not an LFS. Nor is Animart, nor any other dog food dealer with a saltwater section. Expecting them to be all (or even some) of the things that we expect an LFS to be is going to be a frustrating experience, as Montipora makes clear.


SM, I agree completely that Paul and LA are a great resource for the local hobby. No doubt there.

I think you can make the arguement that Pet World is not a LFS as well (chain, multiple locations in WI and IL...maybe more?) but I disagree with the same being said about Animart....maybe its splitting hairs but they have two (correct me if I am wrong) stores both within 40 miles of each other in South Central Wisconsin, one here and one in Beaver Dam. There are some other feed stores elsewhere but dont have fish at least from what I understand. The owner is there on site quite a bit. Not exactly the megapoly of the pet industry. If Living Art opens up an Eastside branch (just saying, how about it Paul?) does that make them a chain? The way I see Animart doing lots of community based things, educational endeavors and supporting startup clubs as well as our own (the Madison Reptile club thats starting for example) pretty much lines up with everything that makes a local store local in my mind. Sure they arent gearing their offerings to the high end experienced hobbyist all the time...but not sure that changes them from LFS to something else.

Or did you mean "not a LFS" just in regards to the fact that they sell multiple types of pets under one roof? Does that mean animart is a LPS instead of a LFS? Perhaps.
meisen
 
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:26 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm

meisen wrote:
Or did you mean "not a LFS" just in regards to the fact that they sell multiple types of pets under one roof? Does that mean animart is a LPS instead of a LFS? Perhaps.


This was generally the point I was trying to make (being a chain store wasn't part of my intended argument). I was also trying to make the admittedly slightly derisive point that Animart and Pet World are stores that are primarily in the business of retail sales, and they also just happen to sell animals; they might just as well have chosen to sell lingerie. I think this point can be made more strongly in the case of Animart, actually: they (owners/upper managers; I have no beef with the employees) seem to put more effort into general store decor, a snappy environment ("Wet and Wild"? Really? I'm embarrassed for that), and making money (they offer day care -- did you know this?) than they do making sure their livestock is in good shape (reptile department comes to mind on this especially) and encouraging their employees to be something other than pleasant retail clerks (I get much more fake smiles and 'yes sir' crap than information there). (Addendum: their 'adoption' pretence simply adds to the phonyness.) Oh look, I'm ranting again...

I get hot over the loss of authentic, personal LFSs to depersonalized Pet Marts. LFSs should be places where a person can see what's new and cool in the hobby, talk to people who are really invested in all aspects of the hobby (not just reefkeeping; marine people can learn a lot about being an aquarist from talking to FW hobbyists) and are really experienced in the hobby (grisly old guys who remember when the nitrogen cycle was discovered). Too many people shop based on best price, most convenient location, and brightest cleanest biggest store.

Edit: meisen, thanks for encouraging me to be more clear on what I mean. Also, rereading your post: I was not aware of Animart's "community based things". I'd like to learn more about that, since it might shed a positive light on them.
Socratic Monologue
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Oxford, WI

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Pet World on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 pm

After reading many of the misguided comments on this website, I felt compelled to respond. Forgive me if I skip around and do not address all of them in order.

First, let me say that I'm not sure where any of you get your information, so let me give you a little background. Pet World started as a small LFS in 1974 selling fish and making aquariums. There is no Pet World outside of Wisconsin and the company is owned and operated by four native Wisconsinites with a combined 98 years of pet industry experience.

Second, if any of you have heard any of our employees giving incorrect info, providing you are privy to the entire background of the situation, I do apologize. Is every employee expertly versed in every aspect of the store? No. Continuing that, because you personally have not been in our store when we suggest against something, that you think it doesn't happen.

Third, talking badly of a store because it caters to beginners in the hobby is quite egotistical of you. It is a fact that all of you were beginners at one point. Wasn't it nice to have people to talk to who didn't talk above you or look down on you for not knowing?

Regarding the comment "might just as well of chosen to sell lingerie," I might agree, higher profit, less labor intensive and far less scrutiny from people who don't have a clue of the difficulty in trying to be in business for yourself.

Now I have never met Paul from LA or the owner of Animart, but I am confident that they got into business for similar reasons that any of us have, to make a living working with a hobby they love. The amount of hours and effort we as owners put in should not be overlooked. I doubt that Paul's goal in life is to work megahours for a small profit just so you people can feel better.

To Montipora specifically regarding the razor blade in the tank. Although that is of course not a desired situation, how awful was it? Or did you "on the spot" calculate the PPM of rust floating in the water against the total water volume of the system to determine the toxicity level? Which, by the way, is 1200 gallons. After all, we all know that corals never attach themselves to sunken vessels made of metal and propagate leading to the start of a coral reef. Oh, and FYI, the primary element in phosphate remover is iron oxide.

Lastly, to all of you saltwater Einstein's, the answer is simple; if you don't like the store you shop at, don't shop there. To spend your time sniveling and whining about a store on the internet instead of finding something more productive is disheartening. Put your laptops down, take your eyes off of your aquariums for a minute and see that life clearly has more to offer than what your pathetic lives realize.

Take it from me, a grisly old guy who remembers when the nitrogen cycle was discovered.

-Grisly Old Guy
User avatar
Pet World
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 pm
Location: 2148 West Beltline Hwy. Madison, WI 53713

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby shoota on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Pet World wrote:After reading many of the misguided comments on this website, I felt compelled to respond. Forgive me if I skip around and do not address all of them in order.

First, let me say that I'm not sure where any of you get your information, so let me give you a little background. Pet World started as a small LFS in 1974 selling fish and making aquariums. There is no Pet World outside of Wisconsin and the company is owned and operated by four native Wisconsinites with a combined 98 years of pet industry experience.

Second, if any of you have heard any of our employees giving incorrect info, providing you are privy to the entire background of the situation, I do apologize. Is every employee expertly versed in every aspect of the store? No. Continuing that, because you personally have not been in our store when we suggest against something, that you think it doesn't happen.

Third, talking badly of a store because it caters to beginners in the hobby is quite egotistical of you. It is a fact that all of you were beginners at one point. Wasn't it nice to have people to talk to who didn't talk above you or look down on you for not knowing?

Regarding the comment "might just as well of chosen to sell lingerie," I might agree, higher profit, less labor intensive and far less scrutiny from people who don't have a clue of the difficulty in trying to be in business for yourself.

Now I have never met Paul from LA or the owner of Animart, but I am confident that they got into business for similar reasons that any of us have, to make a living working with a hobby they love. The amount of hours and effort we as owners put in should not be overlooked. I doubt that Paul's goal in life is to work megahours for a small profit just so you people can feel better.

To Montipora specifically regarding the razor blade in the tank. Although that is of course not a desired situation, how awful was it? Or did you "on the spot" calculate the PPM of rust floating in the water against the total water volume of the system to determine the toxicity level? Which, by the way, is 1200 gallons. After all, we all know that corals never attach themselves to sunken vessels made of metal and propagate leading to the start of a coral reef. Oh, and FYI, the primary element in phosphate remover is iron oxide.

Lastly, to all of you saltwater Einstein's, the answer is simple; if you don't like the store you shop at, don't shop there. To spend your time sniveling and whining about a store on the internet instead of finding something more productive is disheartening. Put your laptops down, take your eyes off of your aquariums for a minute and see that life clearly has more to offer than what your pathetic lives realize.

Take it from me, a grisly old guy who remembers when the nitrogen cycle was discovered.

-Grisly Old Guy



Wow...what a response. I don't think I will ever shop at Pet World again... 'all of you Saltwater Einstein's' and 'pathetic lives'?
IMO your post and the comments you make speak for itself on the the level of customer service you provide.... =D>
shoota
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby plainrt on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:03 pm

wow i thought people were being little rough on pet world but after what he wrote i would never step foot in the place now.What a f'n dick.
plainrt
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: sheboyagn

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:33 pm

I was being rough on Pet World -- I admitted I was ranting.

Not to add more fuel to this fire, but: this is one of the points that I was trying to make -- that this outburst is, in the grand scheme of things, going to have no measurable impact on PW's sales. That's the cool thing about big, impersonal businesses that don't really need to maintain a satisfied customer base.

I recall an LFS that I went in years ago. There was a tang of some sort (I don't recall which) in a display tank that had ick. I tracked down the manager and started "sniveling and whining" about sick fish, blah, blah. He looked at me and explained, a bit apologetically, that they had been FW dipping the fish, and they put some cleaner shrimp in the tank, and he was trying to avoid just dumping the fish in a sterile copper-treatment tank, and he made me feel that he really was concerned about the fish. He didn't say it in so many words, but he seemed thankful to have someone care enough to complain about something important. I became a good customer there.
Last edited by Socratic Monologue on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Socratic Monologue
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Oxford, WI

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby bradhass87 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm

huh, I'm speechless...to a point. I by no means am a 'saltwater Einstein,' though I do know the relativity between customer service and a profitable business and a rant like that isn't in your business' favor.
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Janesville, WI

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby SeeingGreen on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:21 pm

plainrt wrote:What a f'n dick.


^^Thats saying something coming from plainrt :)

In all seriousness though, [-o< stop the fighting all, friendly forum remember.
SeeingGreen
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby plainrt on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm

SeeingGreen wrote:
plainrt wrote:What a f'n dick.


^^Thats saying something coming from plainrt :)

In all seriousness though, [-o< stop the fighting all, friendly forum remember.



lol..........
plainrt
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: sheboyagn

Next

Return to Pet World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests