can you freshwater dip a hammer coral

Postby tzenda on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:25 pm

can you dip hammer corals
can you dip snails and crabs

and for how long if you can

how long would you dip a Purple Pseudochromis

i know, lost o ???s but i need to know
any info will help thanks
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby spbreeder on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:11 pm

why would you want to dip everything? It is very hard on marine critters to do so. I would say skip the dip (LOL) and QT everything for at least 3 weeks. If in that time the fish shows signs of an illness you can then remove the inverts and treat the fish. I am not sure about treating inverts, but i know copper and hypo (two ways to treat ich) are no good for inverts. I am not sure about formulin or anything else. I may be wrong about all this, but I have done lots of research. Let me know if you find out anthing different, I am always willing to learn something new. Denise
spbreeder

Postby tzenda on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:30 pm

yea i know its hard on things, but i thought i read somewhere that a dip wouldnt hurt stuff, but does stress things out a bit, i was kinda lookin just to look, so to say

im dont nesesarily have to do it
tzenda

Postby spbreeder on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:31 pm

I think it would kill corals and inverts, and it is very hard on fish. Do you have any fish in your tank yet?

Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:58 pm

Definately very bad on inverts and corals and causes osmotic shock on fish. There is a reason we spend at least 30 minutes, sometimes several hours acclimating fish to our tanks. They need a lot of time to adjust to different salinities or else their cells go through nasty processes as the cells get bigger with more water. Inverts should be safe to add to your main tank, just do not add any foreign water, and fish should be QT'ed.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tzenda on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 pm

yea we have two clown fish that were in our 10gal. we put everything though the drip method to get them used to their new water.
tzenda

Postby tzenda on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:16 pm

yea we have two clown fish that were in our 10gal. we put everything though the drip method to get them used to their new water.
tzenda

Postby spbreeder on Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:12 pm

Then you should be fine to add the inverts/corals to your main tank and QT the fish for 3 weeks or so for observation. It is very rare that an invert or coral will harbor a parasitic fugitive, but if your clowns come down with something during that time you would have to remove them and treat them in the QT and let your main tank be fishless for 5 weeks or so as some parasites can live in substrate/LR for that long without a host fish.

Good luck, Denise
spbreeder

Postby MattK on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:10 am

Here's the process I go through for adding new fish/corals/inverts to the tank.

Fish:
- Empty bag (w/ fish) into container.
- Drip acclamate over 30 minutes from water from the QT.
- About 1/2 through the drip, I add Formalin to the container.
- I then transfer the fish into the QTank using a net.
- Fish stay in QT for two weeks at normal salinity.
- Over the third week, I slowly reduce salinity to do hypo treatment.
- Fish stay's in QT for another 4 weeks at hypo. (6 if I saw spots)
- After Hypo, take a week to bring up QT to normal salinity.
- Transfer fish to main display.

Corals/inverts.
- Drip acclamate 30-60 minutes (depending on coral/invert) from main tank.
- While acclamating, add flat worm exit to remove flat worms which may be there.
- Red bug treatment (Interceptor??) should be added for SPS's.
- (I don't have any so that's not an option.)
- Add corals/inverts to main tank.

I hope this helps someone,

Matt
MattK

Postby Mark on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:17 pm

I would follow Matt, Denise, and Braendead's advice - as they are similar to mine.

One thing I would say is that I try my best NOT to dip/treat/etc anything if unnecessary. Most my fish go to QT, observed for 4-6 weeks. My inverts do not get treated/etc at all.
While I have dipped corals for specific reason [Acropora-specific parasite, zoanthid-specific predator] - I prefer not to as that stress is energy that coral/invert/fish could need to just cope with the new environs/trip. Or might need to fight off something that a dip can't help - that is stressing it.

I will and do treat for flatworms after getting `infected' with those [and redbugs] ... but that's the limit, and something when I can avoid [know the tank] I do.

I guess I see FW dips somewhat as `chemo' for fish - a little harsh unless absolutely needed ... but then it's the best idea.

I highly recommend + for fish practice Quarantine - it's really the best method as less stress will equal greater success with anything. If you don't know exactly what you're treating for ... don't.

Anyway - just my opinion - probably will change it soon enough anyway. Good luck with it.
Mark

Return to MARS General