The next project

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: The next project

Postby Sula on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Yes, I do like the way that guy got some T5's in between his LED units - pretty smart way to hedge your bets some......
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby O&J'sdad on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 pm

What are you planning for a sand bed. Just curious because I can't keep the sand on the bottom of my tank with just 2 6100's in my 120. I have two other ones just waiting to go in there for some crazy flow.
O&J'sdad

Postby meisen on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Jason you bring up a good point.

I am planning to do a M-DSB with sugar fine sand. I've used the "sea floor special" grade sand in the past on a few tanks (current prop systems included) and while its nicer in the beginning with regards to resistance to blasting, it doesn't maintain its crisp white look very long. The sugar fine just needs a mild bit of grooming to stay nice and white IME.

With that in mind, the 6100s will be dialed way down and running near the top of the tank structure, especially in the beginning before there are large colonies to cut flow. I used them that way in my last SPS-type system and it seemed to be OK (with some sand blasting when they weren't adjusted carefully :mrgreen: ). I guess I have the other option of using the two MP10s on the system, would probably want to pick up a third larger one as well.

I guess I will just see how the tunze do in there first and go from there. No harm in creating a sand storm or two in the beginning :mrgreen:
meisen

Postby meisen on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Some pics of the Tech tank in my basement (thanks Richard!)
Gotta spend some quality time with some vinegar and that overflow to at least start out with it looking clean!

meisen

Postby meisen on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 pm

its definitely not going to go there BTW, it will actually be where my SPS prop tank is now.
meisen

Postby Aimforever on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Looks great Mark! That is my one complaint with the Tech tanks - the material they used for the overflow is basically impossible to keep clean. At one point I was contemplating making a removable cover for it out of black acrylic but eventually decided to just live with it. I wish they had made it with a smooth surface that could be scraped clean :roll:
Aimforever

Postby meisen on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Aimforever wrote:Looks great Mark! That is my one complaint with the Tech tanks - the material they used for the overflow is basically impossible to keep clean. At one point I was contemplating making a removable cover for it out of black acrylic but eventually decided to just live with it. I wish they had made it with a smooth surface that could be scraped clean :roll:

Thanks Jon, I think that is definitely a disadvantage of them. I was thinking about doing the acrylic cover or heck, even a thin glass cover that I could just silicone on there. Would have to be black glass though of course.
meisen

Postby Aimforever on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I'd say go for it if you have the time to find a solution - black glass sounds like an even better idea. The overflow still bugs me today since it kind of takes away from the overall 'clean' look of these systems. I wish I had figured something out back when the tank was empty. Now that things are pretty grown in it would be a major PITA to try to do anything about it.

Regardless, I know you'll have a blast putting this system together. Keep us updated!
Aimforever

Postby meisen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Well....its only been what a little over a year since I've updated this. Thought it was about time. So I basically got water and live sand into this system and let it run for 6 months or so (with no lights). Great way to let the rock fully cure and the little critters to multiply. Also I was just being a bit lazy :mrgreen: . But I finally lit the thing up a couple of months ago. It's got 2 X 250 W SE halides. I am using XM20Ks right now but eventually will have Radiums going over it, probably on the next replacement cycle.
meisen

Postby meisen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Here is the current setup:
(2) Lumenmax Pendants with Electronic ballasts running 250 W SE XM 20K bulbs.
SWC Xtreme 200 Skimmer
Geo Calcium Reactor (not online yet)
RK lite (not up and running yet, waiting for a couple things)
Vortech MP40 ES
(2) Tunze 6100
meisen

Postby Landon on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 pm

This is gonna be B.A.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby meisen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Now, three months later the first dozen or so frags are in. It's only going to be populated by high end frags. I only plan on using propagated corals and known growers to minimize the risk of pest introduction. I'm quarantining everything for at least a couple of weeks before it goes in as well.

So here goes, first few livestock pics. I guess these have been in there around 3 weeks or so and are just beginning to tack themselves down.

True Acropora Horrida

ORA bird of paradise

Ultimate Frags Sunset milli

JF Tierra Del Fuego

Raging Bull Prostrata

Atlantis Rommel's Rainbow Milli

AV99's Mello Yellow

Orange Setosa

unknown monti. Colors of pokerstar but not the same species...this one branches and plates from what I'm told.

And A FTS:
meisen

Postby johntroxel71 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Very nice. Will you do any fish in this tank, or corals only?
johntroxel71

Postby meisen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 am

johntroxel71 wrote:Very nice. Will you do any fish in this tank, or corals only?

Actually two fish in there already.....a pair of long spine cardinals. One of my favs for shoaling fishes but I didn't want to shock the tank with a large group of 10 right off the bat. They were being shy for the camera shoot.

I've also got a pair of golden CBS in there....they are already making zooplankton ;)
meisen

Postby meisen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 am

I'm not really set on a solid stocking plan but it is going to be modestly stocked. Probably the aforementioned cardinal shoal, a basslet of some kind, a pair or trio of fairy or flasher wrasses and maybe a small tang (baby purple or flame fin).
meisen

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General