Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

How do i get ick off my fish

Postby badgerboy on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am

What's the best treatment/medicine
badgerboy

Re: How do i get ick off my fish

Postby Rueg on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am

The only thing that has worked for me is soaking the food in a garlic extract/additive. Here is the kind I use: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... catid=5016
I bought it at Animart - a bit more expensive there, but you get it right away.
Rueg

Postby jelly on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 am

cleaner shrimp will pick them off. or you can do a fresh water dip and that will remove them.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby Jake on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am

Figure out what's stressing out your fish. Test your water quality and salinity. When all your parameters are correct your fish won't get sick.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby sslak on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 am

I agree with Jake. A healthy fish should be able to fight off ich on it's own. Make sure your parameters are looking good.
Steve
sslak

Postby Jake on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:53 am

A good diet definately helps too...
Jake

Postby ReeferDude on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Garlic has always worked for me, but a good diet and healthy tank always work as well.
ReeferDude

Postby Tin_Whistler on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Ich, or Cryptocaryon irritans as it’s properly called is a parasite. Feeding your fish Garlic, using a cleaner shrimp, and proper water parameters wont rid your tank, or fish of ich. Garlic raises your fishes immune system, and will not do anything to keep a parasite off your fish. Cleaner shrimp do remove parasites from fish, as well as dead skin, however ich is too small, and imbedded in the fishes skin, along as being inside their gills where the cleaner shrimp can’t reach. Due to the parasites odd life cycle some of these things look like they may work, but the period of time they are actually on the fish is only a small part of their lifecycle.

For your fish there’s three treatments, copper, hyposalinity, and tank transfer method, googling any of these should bring up how to properly treat with them.

As for your tank, since the above treatments would kill corals, and inverts, you need to have a fallow tank, meaning no fish in it.

The life cycle of C. Irritans is 3 weeks, but due to anomalies in the breeding cycle to have a 99.7% chance of having all of the parasites die off you need to have your tank fishless for 9 weeks.

Anything other than a proper treatment, and a fallow tank will just delay the inevitable. At some point in time, they ich population will explode, and they’ll start killing fish.

Some info on Marine Ich:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=2041951
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1992196
Tin_Whistler

Postby sslak on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

^ I know that's what they say on Reefcentral...

I saw a couple spots of Ich on both clowns, and a midas blenny a couple years ago when my parameters got all out of whack after moving my brother's tank from my parents house to my house.

A few water changes and the parameters went back in line...I haven't seen any evidence of ich since. I'm not saying it's not in my system. I'm saying it isn't causing any detrimental effects on my fish. I also don't keep surgeon fish which are supposedly very susceptible to c. irritans.

Personal observation leads me to believe that healthy fish don't die from ich. I think a lot of people panic and kill fish with copper or hypo in a QT tank trying to take the display tank fallow when often the fish could fight it off on their own if eating well and otherwise healthy.

That's my opinion... :|
Steve
sslak

Postby Jake on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 am

People always trying to complicate things with their fancy reef central jargon. :roll:
Jake

Postby Tin_Whistler on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Jake wrote:People always trying to complicate things with their fancy reef central jargon. :roll:
I apologize if things like "Science" and "Biology" are too much for you to handle Jake. I'll try to keep that to a minimum in the future.

For what it's worth what I've learned about ich came from working at a fish store for 3 years, reading dozens of books on marine biology, and helping hundreds of people deal with ich problems. I've seen what does and doesn't work through my own experiences, and the feedback of hundreds of folks I've advised who had to deal with ich.

The reason I included RC links was because those two posts are both well written, factual, and posting two links saves me 45 minutes of typing all that junk out.

If sslak or others don't agree with me that's fine, it's their fish/tank. I'm not going to yell at him, or anyone else for disagreeing with me. I have my experiences, and they have theirs, I was just attempting to share my point of view, and experiences with the folks on this site. But if you are under the assumption I stopped in here to spout of some random knowledge I stole from another website you're sadly mistaken.

@sslak, I QT everything I put in my tank for two reasons. The first one being so I can make sure they're eating and healthy before I put them into a tank alongside other fish where they'll have to compete for food. The second one being to watch for disease, and parasites. I don't use copper myself, I prefer using Hypo but if somebody knows what they are doing a QT process is actually better for the fish than tossing it into a main tank where it has to fight for survival. Most of the times I've seen fish die during QT is because people aren't watching ammonia, the tank doesn't have enough oxygen in it, or they're administering treatment improperly.

I can't tell you how many time's I've seen somebody bring a fish back that died because it either wasn't eating, or was bullied and stressed out by it's normally peaceful tankmates. Whether or not you're QT'ing for parasites, I do highly recommend it just to make sure you're adding a fish that's mentally/physically ready to be mixed in with your currently healthy fish.
Tin_Whistler

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm

sslak wrote:
I saw a couple spots of Ich on both clowns, and a midas blenny a couple years ago when my parameters got all out of whack after moving my brother's tank from my parents house to my house.

A few water changes and the parameters went back in line...I haven't seen any evidence of ich since. I'm not saying it's not in my system. I'm saying it isn't causing any detrimental effects on my fish. I also don't keep surgeon fish which are supposedly very susceptible to c. irritans.

Personal observation leads me to believe that healthy fish don't die from ich. I think a lot of people panic and kill fish with copper or hypo in a QT tank trying to take the display tank fallow when often the fish could fight it off on their own if eating well and otherwise healthy.

That's my opinion... :|

I agree with all this, since it mirrors my personal and retail experience. I'll add a vote for cleaner shrimp, too, even for gill infestations:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfloros/3236247317/

I do hope things are going well for your fish, badgerboy :)
Socratic Monologue

Postby lumpus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Lol! I'm with Tin Whistler for the most part, but then again I believe in that scarey voodoo science stuff :-) . The problem with saying, " healthy fish don't get sick" is that it ignores the fact that parasites are what often make fish sick in the first place. Since a tank is a closed system, the parasites can build up in the tank to the point of overcoming even a healthy fish. There has been no research (to my knowlege) on how other factors affect a fishes susceptibility to parasitism, but if you draw an analogy from mammals, birds, and many reptiles, a juvenile or elderly fish that is otherwise healthy is also going to be more susceptible to parasites and most infectious disease. There are also other things that cause white spots on marine fish. Mycobacterium, for example, can chronically infect your fish and only cause white bumps if the fish is stressed or in poor health (or is a seahorse*sigh*). And marine ich can look more patchy than spotty.

So, is garlic a good immune booster? I'm not sure how well that topic is well researched in organisms other than people. People slop it all over dog foods and there is no evidence of its benefits, only that it causes hemolytic anemia in canines. We have a bad habit of applying human health wisdom to animals unfortunately, though we mean well. Even if it is beneficial to one fish species, applying that wisdom to all fish is like saying that all mammals can be treated like a human, which is just plain silly. I'm not meaning to pick on anyone that think garlic helps, but I do get pretty annoyed with companies that will say anything to sell stuff to people that are willing to believe them. The pet industry has some pretty appalling regulations. Food fish farmers will use it to treat sea lice and helminths, but I can tell you that the professionals at public aquaria that I know of aren't investing in any garlic baths. They are very serious about quarantine and careful use of drugs, chemicals, good water and good nutrition.

How would they treat the parasite? There are options..hyposalinity(intermittent or indefinately to <16ppt), move fish to a clean tank every 3 days(stressful), Temp to 66F (not for everyone), copper (very effective on Crypto, but some fish are sensitive, not for use with inverts), or a tank with out hosts for 3 mo. Depends on the fish and system what is best. "Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment" by Noga is the most up to date fish medicine reference out currently.
I may look like I'm not doing anything, but on the cellular level I'm quite busy...
lumpus

Postby Sula on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 am

lumpus wrote:There are also other things that cause white spots on marine fish. Mycobacterium, for example, can chronically infect your fish and only cause white bumps if the fish is stressed or in poor health (or is a seahorse*sigh*). And marine ich can look more patchy than spotty.

This is a very interesting observation - makes me think that the differences in experiences is due to everyone calling white spots ich when in fact they are sometimes something else. I, also, have had a fish with something "ich-like" which went away. It was almost certainly due to stress, it was my high-strung Purple Tang who I had just transported in a salt bucket from Rockford to Middleton. I never treated, just gave him time to adapt to his new environment.
He's been in that tank for 4 years now and I've never seen any white spots since on him or any other fish.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:27 am

lumpus wrote:So, is garlic a good immune booster? I'm not sure how well that topic is well researched in organisms other than people.

Here are three papers that suggest that garlic confers some immune enhancement and associated decreases in mortality from bacterial infections in three unrelated species of fish:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/t ... 1/art00007

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 785.x/full

I found these using Google Scholar -- I'm sure someone who knows this subject could cite quite a few more studies.
Socratic Monologue

Next

Return to MARS General