How do i get ick off my fish

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: How do i get ick off my fish

Postby lumpus on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:11 am

Nice! Now I know that it helps boost immunity in 3 species of freshwater food fish for some bacterial infections :-) I'm the first to admit I tune out for food animal medicine. Now we just need someone to find us some studies with tropical ornamentals, preferrably marine, and dealing with parasites. Often less effective treatments are used in food animal medicine for the safety of the consumer. I think that to a certain extent we may need to agree to disagree. Some people go see the homeopath only when they are sick, some only the doctor. Some use homeopathic principles to avoid seeing a doctor as much, but still go for illness.
I may look like I'm not doing anything, but on the cellular level I'm quite busy...
lumpus

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

lumpus wrote:Nice! Now I know that it helps boost immunity in 3 species of freshwater food fish for some bacterial infections :-)

Which makes it an immune booster in fish. QED. :)

lumpus wrote:I'm the first to admit I tune out for food animal medicine. Often less effective treatments are used in food animal medicine for the safety of the consumer.

Hmmm. I suppose the "less effective treatments" claim makes sense, but the discussion here -- I thought -- was not whether garlic was more or less effective than treatment B, but rather whether garlic was effective at all. Seems you're caving in a bit. :)

I would think that food producers would use something only if its efficacy is justified by its (financial) cost -- after all, food producers are in the business of making money, and if garlic extract costs money, then if there is no benefit to using it, then food producers would stop using it to save money. I have no real knowledge in this area -- I'm just speculating.
Socratic Monologue

Postby lumpus on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 am

:-) Not caving at all. "So, is garlic a good immune booster? I'm not sure how well that topic is well researched in organisms other than people." I said I didn't know if it had been looked at in fish at all. I'm not an expert in fish medicine, but I have studied it and am willing to relay what I have been told by those wiser than myself. I just figured people would would want to know what the experts teach us. It's tough for hobbyists to get good information, and I hate seeing people think that they are using a cure and then being sad when their pets croaks. That food producers can use it doesn't mean it makes good business sense. Often they just don't want to clean the environment, or don't want to spend money on quality food, or can't afford or legally get away with anything better. Oddly enough, garlic is not legally allowed, but it is of low regulatory concern. Now that is silly!
I may look like I'm not doing anything, but on the cellular level I'm quite busy...
lumpus

Postby Jake on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 am

Skip the garlic extract. Another gimic that's out there. KISS
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby BadgerReefer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 am

Jake wrote:Skip the garlic extract. Another gimic that's out there. KISS

Garlic can definitely boost immune systems. Of the many snake oils out there, garlic is actually something useful...
BadgerReefer

Postby BadgerReefer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Didn't realize I responded to a year old post....
BadgerReefer

Postby sslak on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Zombie thread!!!

Well I didn't read all the responses last time this thread was around. Good to know that there are other things besides Ich that cause white spots. It's likely that is what I observed, which explains why the spots have never returned.

Sorry to participate in resurrecting this old thread.
Steve
sslak

Postby MM on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:08 am

Excellent to see so much good advice in here, and i am going to give another big thumbs up to Jake and others saying "it the water quality stupid," Maybe Romney can use that against Obama this election. Usually a nice water change will knock the ich off of your fish. But then you have to ask yourself what caused the problem. I find high dissolved organics and higher temperture helps a great many reef pests thrive whether you are plaqued with ick, red bugs or what ever. So water change great advice, but if its organics consider larger skimmer, less feeding to keep your orgs down and lower the temp to 75-76. 80 or higher will help the pests and stress the fish.

So great job all. Mars is the rockinest fish club on the internet! and i even like the more complex suggestion out there for diversity of opinion. we all need to follow our own path.

- Mark
MM

Previous

Return to MARS General