New idea for a sump (sorry, I am a spaz)

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New idea for a sump (sorry, I am a spaz)

Postby spbreeder on Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:35 pm

:roll: I know you are probably getting a little tired of discussing this but.... I think I am going to try something different than having 2 tubs side by side. I was having trouble finding tubs with flat ends so I didn't think they would be easy to seal. I now am thinking about having 1 big tub, maybe 40 gal. if I can find one that will fit, and put 2 smaller containers (smaller tubs or buckets or something) inside of the big one. Now the questions..was thinking that one zone would be for the intake plumbing and skimmer, another would be for the fuge and heater, and the last would be for the return pump. I thought it would be best to have the fuge be the largest area, but maybe i am wrong, maybe I need the intake area to be the largest to house some LR to help with bubbles? Tell me your thoughts, I am trying to really think this out before I actually do anything to avoid a potential disaster and to make the best functional set up without much money. Thanks, Denise
spbreeder

30 gallon tank sump instead of plastic boxes?

Postby Studioksr on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi Denise,

I just built my first sump a couple of months ago, using a 30 gallon long glass tank and making baffles from plexiglass from the hardward store. I am very happy with it -- if you are interested in doing it this way, I will try to find the webpage with the design I followed and modified. The instructions were pretty clear.

My sump has 3 chambers. 1) drain pipe from display, heater, skimmer 2)refugium 3) return pump

1) is actually split into two chambers, so the drain pipe is in the corner to help trap the bubbles and the rest of the area is for the skimmer

3) is also split into two areas, again to minimize bubbles

both of these divisions are very simple and actully strengthen the design.

I have been wondering if I ought to have small pieces of live rodk in the first chamber where the drain pipe is -- I have seen this mentioned several times as a way to keep down bubbles, and I would think it would add filtration as well? Do you know anything about it?

Let me know if you want to find that website . . .
Studioksr

Postby pangea on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Denise,
I like your idea. It solves the bulkhead probs. I think I might try that before i drill my rubbermaids-I'm all for larger water volume!

Take care,

Jim
pangea

Postby spbreeder on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:16 pm

If you're talking about melevs website, I've been there. He has lot's of good ideas but mainly focus' on glass or acrylic. I am on a pretty tight budget (I know....I picked the wrong hobby) and thought I could save some money going the rubbermaid rt.

I still have to find the right size rubbermaid container. my stand is 72" long but only 18" wide so I am trying to find the right size. I found a nice 50 gal but I would probably have to cut the top edge off to fit. But it would probably still hold 35-40 gal.

The flow issue I am pondering is if I use a smaller but taller tub for the sump, cut holes or slots in the side for intake, how would the water get out? Would i have to use a powerhead or something? or if I made cuts all the way around would the water just flow through and go back out the other side?

Denise
spbreeder

Postby spbreeder on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:29 pm

I was still kinda thinking about using two side by side. If I use threaded PVC and a bunch of rubber gaskets maybe a tight seal could be gotten. But again, how would you plumb to the fuge? Ball valve? And what about the return from fugeland? AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! I feel stupid!!!
spbreeder

Postby Studioksr on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:17 pm

I can totally sympathize! I dont have any suggestions, since that sounds like a lot more plumbing than I needed to do.

I am pretty sure the site I referred to is not Melev's site -- I have seen his sumps and they are amazing! but much larger and more complex (and expensive)

This guy used just pieces of hardware store plexi, not all that expensive since you pay by the square foot and dont need too much. Especially if you could get a used tank, pretty soon the tank cost isn't that much compared to buying several Rubbermaid containers.

good luck!
Studioksr

Postby Brad_608 on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:58 pm

I beleive tapper of spines has a
40 gallon breeder for trade/sale,
but it might be to wide.

You can usually find used tanks for a good price.

with all the plumbing involved, I believe that the two
rubbermaids would be a little more exspensive.

If you really want room for what ever you may come
up with, it might be worth setting up a sump/general care area
in the basement area and plumb it to your tank. :shock:
I know it sounds expensive and like alot of work.
But it's really just a couple pipes and a hardcore pump. :lol:
Having seen your tank and basement I believe
this wouldn't be to hard to do. :wink:

Just an Idea :idea:

Then you can do whatever you want!!

Brad
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Sump idea

Postby meisen on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:08 am

I am thinking of something similar in my sump though on a smaller scale. I have a 20 gallon sump which I am going to add a tall 4 gallon plastic garbage can to as a refugia (from the ones I have seen at Target, I am going to have to cut it down a bit to get it lower than the top edge of the sump). It will have a series of holes drilled about 3/4 of the way up for outflow and a small powerhead as an inflow. It is probably going to have a 4" sand layer, a bit of live rock rubble, Chaetomorpha and pods. It will be lit by a 65 Watt LOA fixture on reverse daylight cycle from the main tank. The nice thing about your idea is that as long as your inner boxes are lower than the top of your sump, you can never have a flood (at least a flood from the refugia overflowing...). You can even plumb them like you would if they were external but without concern for a super tight fit.
meisen

Return to MARS General