over filtering saltwater tank? lots of questions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

over filtering saltwater tank? lots of questions

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 pm

I bought my first saltwater setup today. its a 75 gallon with everything but a protein skimmer. Originally i was planning on using it for freshawater, the guy said it was setup and running and while he was on vacation the light shorted out and everything died. anyway I got there to pick the tank up this morning and he had 2 clownfish, a damsel and another fish, and a crab that were still alive. So i decided id try the saltwater thing out since i already had some critters to start me out.

ill cut to the point, the tank came with live rock and 2 fluval 404 filters. is all this filtration too much? I was thinking of pulling one off and just running one. theres about 70lbs or live rock, im not sure if its still "live" or not since it was in a tub all day. it didnt dry out. but im not sure if it survived without the H.O. light for a while at his house, it had a light but just a regular flourescent.
Fishkeeper15379

Re: over filtering saltwater tank? lots of questions

Postby jelly on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 pm

i would leave the two filters going they should be fine. if it was me i would build a sump and run a sump. IMO i think they are better and running a good skimmer will make things even better. i would say they dont need light to be alive. its the bacteria that lives in the rock and the crittes that make it live and going with out light wont hurt it. if your rock was underwater you will be fine. if it was covered when something so it didnt dry out it should be fine. all and all i think you will be ok good luck
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby MM on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Extra filters will not hurt your tank but it is more than you need. I would keep it simple for fish, only reason to build a sump is if you want to play with a sump, what would you need it for? hang on skimmer would be enough for fish only tank, you have live rock so to keep it nice and pink with coraline algae i would run some cheap sylvania daylight florescent lamps and change the tubes ever 9-12 months to keep the wrong algae from growing, using DI/RO water will help keep the algae down as will a short light cycle, only when you are home to enjoy them. Have fun and dont worry about what you have and dont have to keep a few fish.

- Mark
MM

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah I do plan on adding a skimmer to it, Its been running for 6 hours or so today now. i left the filters how they were and didnt clean any of the rocks or sand in hopes of it cycling faster. A guy I know said to let the tank run for a little bit and the clownfish should be fine to add in it being that the rocks, filters and sand all have the biological matter still on them, and the clownfish are pretty hardy fish. I tested the water and got a kh of 240 and nitrate was at 80ppm, ph was at 8.0. anything i should work on at this time? will the nitrate drop if i leave it alone?
Fishkeeper15379

Postby Sula on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:50 am

You will need to do water changes to reduce your nitrates. Do you have tests for ammonia or nitrite? That's how you will know whether your tank is undergoing a cycle.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I just changed about 15 gallons out. and yes the nitrites were at 0. I forgot about ammonia ill go find the test kit for that and see what thats at
Fishkeeper15379

Postby Rueg on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Sounded like you were planning on freshwater. Hopefully your test kits are for saltwater. Sometimes they cannot be used for both.
Rueg

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 pm

well i have 7 freshwater tanks setup and was just buying this as a tank, but then he had the fish, live rock and the guy gave me enough salt to fill that tank so i couldnt not try it out. but yes i read everything ive used for it and its all salt/freshwater
Fishkeeper15379

Postby MM on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:49 am

I would never "clean" your rocks or bed in a saltwater tank, at least never take them out and clean them. you can brush of algae and vacumn or stir the bed and then filther the water but you dont ever want to lose the bacteria or small animals living in the rocks or the bed.

Sounds ike you are doing fine, I predict two years from now the fresh water tanks all converted salt and regular posts on MARS :)

- Mark
MM

Return to MARS General