New to all this, I might need some help.

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New to all this, I might need some help.

Postby ObeyMyDog on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 am

Hey everyone!

So I'm relatively new to keeping marine life. Back in November, I converted my little 6 gal Fluval Edge to salt water. So far everything has been going really well. I did a lengthy cycling, custom while/blue LED lighting, weekly water changes, etc., and things seem to be thriving... but now I've got the itch to go bigger!

As I my friends and co-workers have heard me talking, I've had several offers of "oh, I have this old tank, you want it?" and I now find myself graced with a 20 gal and maybe a 35 as well. I've been reading a lot on setting up a sump/refugium using a 10 gal. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I'm also curious about drilling out the main tank to put in the overflow and such. I'm not a huge fan of having stuff hanging all over the back.

I look forward to any advice anyone can give. I'll try to get some pictures of my current tank up too.

Thanks!
ObeyMyDog

Re: New to all this, I might need some help.

Postby lancewlarsen on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 am

Greetings and great to hear that you're getting everything you need together to have fun with marine tanks!

The best way to get feedback from all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum would be to post one question per thread -- i.e. "Looking for suggestions on drilling my tank" and another on "Can I see what others have done for putting an X gallon sump on their system." or "Anyone else have success with a 6 gallon tank setup?" -- I've found that you'll get much better focused feedback in those cases. :)

But also, please post pics - certainly works well for getting specific feedback as well.

Best of luck -- and we've got a much larger system - but started long long ago with a 30 gallon tank with a hang on refugium - so if we can help, you're always welcome to come over and see what we've done and talk about what we've learned along the way. :)

We live in Middleton - IM me for specifics.

...Lance & Amy
lancewlarsen

Re: New to all this, I might need some help.

Postby ObeyMyDog on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 am

Lance,

Thanks for the pointers! My post is fairly vague and rambling, isn't it? Whoops.

I'd love to get together, check out your set up, and have an actual face to face conversation. I find it's much easier for me to learn things, if I can actually see what we're talking about. I'll send you a pm and we can figure out the details.

Thanks!
Dave
ObeyMyDog

Return to MARS General