using both OFs as draines

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

using both OFs as draines

Postby angieg1123 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:20 am

What do I have to do to make both the drains and the returns in my OF chambers both draines?

I have a 125g aga with 2 corner overflows. I just purchased 2 - 1 in sea swirls for the tank. ( still trying to get over the $$ shock) I have never used sea swirls before but I am tired of dead spots with Powerheads and sick of all of the cords in the tank. Even with the wavemaster pro, I still have dead spots and not enough current in the tank.

How much flow can I get through the standard OFs if they are both draines?

That would be 4 drains to the sump. I am assuming I will have to remove a few of the teeth at the top of the OF walls? I have a dremmel so I should not be too difficult.

I am using 1 mag 12 now as my return pump....should I get another? One for each 1" sea swirl?

Between the 2 1" sea swirls, the new swc 180 cone skimmer and the (possible) new mag 12 pump....I will be staying home alot :( Geesh this hobby is a money sucking addiction....

Thanks for the help or suggestions.

Angie
I'll frag mine if you'll frag yours :)...All of the best gardens are underwater.
angieg1123

Re: using both OFs as draines

Postby Rueg on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:08 pm

I believe each 1" drain can drain 600 gph. I wouldn't bother turning the other holes into drains. You could also run a closed loop for a sea swirl if you wanted.
Rueg

Re: using both OFs as draines

Postby O&J'sdad on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Google herbie style overflow you should find what you are looking for.
O&J'sdad

Return to MARS General