asking for advice on fragging

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

asking for advice on fragging

Postby victorianlady on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

So, experienced fraggers, maybe you can answer some questions.

I've been experimenting with cutting and using glue this weekend. I had tried rubber bands previously with little success in getting frags to attach nicely to rock (anthias) and have put mushrooms in containers with rock in low flow, with equally spotty results.

This weekend I tried getting some frags off of their plugs and putting them on my rock. Some of them still did not stick, and I think that a few might have run away from the glue. (mushrooms and xenia) I used super-glue like gel glue made especially for fragging (wanted to try the $1.50 stuff at Ben Franklin, but was afraid to mess it up so I got the $9.00 stuff at Best Fish.)

So, can you glue mushrooms?

Why did my xenia and zooanthids not all stick?

Do all xenia walk away from glue eventually? (happened on the frags I bought at the Madison Frag Swap.)

Am I maybe not letting them dry enough? Do I have to pat the water off them before setting them in the glue pile?

Does it ever work to put glue on a piece (say, an encrusting sort of coral) and then stick it on glass under the water?

Any other tips to increase my success?

Thanks for your advice! -- Emily
victorianlady

Re: asking for advice on fragging

Postby shoota on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

I've never fragged softies but from everything I've read I'm not sure glue is best route. I think rubber bands work well in certain situations. Otherwise use a basket with rubble rock and low flow and put the pieces in there and they should attach to the rubble... I've seen xenia fragged this way.
shoota

Postby jelly on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 am

I use any thing that is cheap it all works. Mushroom we put in a bowl with rubal and they stick to the rocks in 2 or 3 weeks
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby angieg1123 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

For softies that have a "stem or stalk" I have always poked a toothpic through them and used rubberbands. Make sure the rebberbands are not so tight as to tear the stems. Have been doing leathers and xenia this way for years without any issues. For my mushrooms and ricordias I use a shallow bowl with rock rubble and bridal netting over the top. Zoanthids, palys, sps, lps, and other polyps superglue gel works well.
I'll frag mine if you'll frag yours :)...All of the best gardens are underwater.
angieg1123

Postby victorianlady on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 am

Thank you, very helpful.
victorianlady

Return to MARS General