candy cane questions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

candy cane questions

Postby victorianlady on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am

I have a candy cane coral that has been doing fine until recently.

I had split this off from another piece in our big tank at work. There they are under T-5's and they inflate huge like turkish caps. The ones at home are completely different.

I don't know how normal that is ... but the one I have at home does not inflate and seems to extend feeder tenticles. (The ones at work never do this.) It was low in my tank, stuck in the sand in fact, but I decided to glue it up high this weekend. It is not looking happy. In fact it looks emaciated, like tissue is disappearing, it is losing its neon green color, and I see bare skeleton on the edge of one side. Should I have been feeding it when it had the tenticles out?

My alkalinity is always high with plenty of calcium, and they have not been in high flow. The LED lights I have on that tank should be more than sufficient. What might be going wrong?

Thanks for your advice. -- Emily
victorianlady

Re: candy cane questions

Postby wantsalotta on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

Specifics about your setup would be helpful in isolating what is causing your corals problem. Are there other corals in your current aquarium, is the coral newly transplanted? If the only major difference in the tank it moved from to the tank it is in now is light, I would assume that is the issue.
wantsalotta

Postby victorianlady on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 pm

7 gal w 3 gal fuge
marineland reef capable led light
housed with mostly soft corals, xenia, mushrooms, anthias, zooanthids and a new fox coral
all water chemistry specs in excellent range
temp around 75 degrees

this piece of coral has been in my tank for 5-6 months already.

i am wondering ... why does it not extend feeder tenticles on the tanks at work, but at home it does. is it because it likes the florescent bulbs better than the led? it is the same water, different salt brand. i take ro water home from work.

i am going to try to feed it, but i had used coral frenzy once upon a time and got really bad hair algae, so I want to be super careful about feeding.
victorianlady

Postby jelly on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:15 pm

almost sounds like they maybe getting to much light.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby wantsalotta on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:59 pm

It would not surprise me if the led light is too focused and intense for its liking. The feeder tentacles kinda contradict that. My candy only has its feeders out during my dusk cycle and into the night. If it is receding and losing tissue, change is necessary to save it. Can you put a screen between your light and water and observe? If you do this for a day or two and tissue inflation increases, you found the cause.
wantsalotta

Return to MARS General