Help with hammer coral

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Help with hammer coral

Postby DDD33 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 am

I have had a hammer coral in my tank for a couple years and it has grown about 8 to 10 huge heads and in total is as big as a bowling ball. Over the course of the last few months a few heads have died off and it just doesn't seem to be doing well. Anything I should be looking for that would have caused this. Most everything else (corals and fish) have been doing fine but this guy/girl is just not happy. I'd like to save the remaining 5 or 6 heads before they shrink up anymore and our gone.

Thanks
DDD33

Re: Help with hammer coral

Postby shoota on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:51 am

I assume this is a branching hammer. Any other additional info you can provide such as symptoms, setup info, etc would be helpful.

First thing, confirm that it's not Brown Jelly Disease, which is common in euphyllia's... google it for more info and pics, videos on youtube, etc... but that spreads pretty quickly, so doesn't sound like what you got since you said heads dying over course of a month or two...

Also, can you explain which heads are dying... Top or bottom? Any certain pattern to which heads are dying? Is it a situation where maybe the coral is getting so big that the top heads are now overshadowing the bottom heads, causing the lower heads to not get enough light and die?
shoota

Postby Socratic Monologue on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Any fish or inverts added before the downhill slide? Something might be picking at it.

Also, you have mentioned past concerns with asterinia and XXL bristleworms. Maybe either of these are suspects (the former, more likely).
Socratic Monologue

Postby Sula on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm

What other types of coral do you have in your tank?
Do any of them look unhappy?
Do you have a way of testing your water for Calcium and Alk? If so, what kind of values are you seeing?
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby DDD33 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Sorry, last week got busy, fast! The heads that have been dying are the bigger, highest up ones. They begin to recede into the branch, start to look slimy and shrivel up until it's just an empty branch. There are smaller little heads coming off the sides of some of the branches but the main parts are receding. No new fish or inverts. Other corals seem to be doing well (zoos, another hammer, mushrooms, yellow polyps, rose tip anemone and some other items I know I am forgetting. I haven't tested for anything recently (my bad) but the other things in the tank seem to be doing fine.

I would not have thought it was brown jelly disease, but the picture in the link below from a brown jelly disease forum sure looks like what my coral looks like. so maybe that is what it is. Guess I better look into what can be done to get rid of it .

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=brown+je ... 9,r:21,s:0

Thanks all for the help and I appreciate suggestions as this is a never ending learning curve.
DDD33

Return to MARS General