Blue Hippo Tang Issues please help

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Blue Hippo Tang Issues please help

Postby Gonzo on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:12 am

I have a tang that has dead face issues. Not sure if that is the right term but that is what i have read its called
I feed San Fransico Bay Brand frozen Brine cubes about once every two weeks more for my other inverts but he does love them as well.
Regular formula one flake food as well.

Anyone have a fix to this.
I have looked online and read tons about what to do but would prefere to have proven facts from MARS pros

Thanks in advance again

Push Forward
Gonzo

Re: Blue Hippo Tang Issues please help

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 am

I've never heard of "dead face"... even a quick google search of "tang dead face" brings up nothing... is it ich? lateral line? hole in head? If you can provide links where you are seeing "dead face", that may help also.
shoota

Postby Gonzo on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 am

The fish has a great color, except around the lips and around the eye and nose area, he's lost his coloration. Cream white looking around his one eye. I quarantined him few weeks back and no other issues in main tank. he is not getting worse just not getting better either. I also noticed that his one fin is not full more web like. The fish eats normally, he swims actively in the tank, I really don't know what's wrong.
Gonzo

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am

Brine isn't healthy... it's like candy, they love it but it has very little nutritional value. Do you feed nori at all, or just the flake? I would be feeding nori, and also soaking food in garlic. It may be onset of MHLLE (marine head and lateral line erosion)... very common in tangs. Search the web for pics and see if it looks like what you got.
shoota

Postby Gonzo on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Shoota those are the symtems on my tang.

I will do some digging on nori.
Brief web search and not much on time frame it will take for tang to completly heal any suggestions.

Aprreciate again info from all at MARS sort of new to this hobbie but have found tons of info on this site to help me out.....

Thanks again
Gonzo

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Any local petstore should have nori (dried seaweed).. get a clip or magnet and tang should go to town on it. Most the nori has garlic already in it. I would also buy a garlic dip, like Kent Garlic Extreme, to dip your flake or frozen in. I haven't had luck finding this in LFS, but can order online from almost anywhere (I got mine from Drs F&S). I'm pretty sure you could use just plain garlic too, but I've never tried it. I'm not sure how long for recovery, but the sooner you catch it and start the above diet, the better... good luck bud
shoota

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Formula Two flake would be more appropriate than F1 for herbivorous fish, too.

The 'web-like fin' sounds like you might consider whether the fish (also) has some sort of bacterial infection that is causing tissue erosion. Bacteria could cause white areas of skin, too, like you're seeing on the face. Just something else you might look into.
Socratic Monologue

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Socratic Monologue wrote:Formula Two flake would be more appropriate than F1 for herbivorous fish, too.

The 'web-like fin' sounds like you might consider whether the fish (also) has some sort of bacterial infection that is causing tissue erosion. Bacteria could cause white areas of skin, too, like you're seeing on the face. Just something else you might look into.

Yup, MHLLE is just a label for erosion, and millions of things can cause it, including improper diet, bacteria, fungal, stress, dinos, parasitic, water quality, etc. etc. Here is a great link: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php Since you said water params were ok, I recommend the next easiest thing to try: diet. And I agree, F2 flakes would be better, I didn't catch that.
shoota

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 pm

and fin erosion is included in the MHLLE label also....
shoota

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

shoota wrote:and fin erosion is included in the MHLLE label also....

I wasn't aware that the fin erosion was considered part of the syndrome; I'd always thought that anything other than just the erosion of the lateral line was some secondary ailment. Thanks for the correction!
Socratic Monologue

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Yea I was same as you bud till I read some interesting articles. HLLE is just a huge label is all. No cures, many causes. If its erosion, they label it HLLE. As to what's causing it, could be millions of things. HLLE is basically the symptom and not an actual disease like most think...
shoota

Return to MARS General