led reef lights

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

led reef lights

Postby ReeferDude on Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 am

MM there is a lot of talk about the first eBay light you posted on other forums. Looks like a nice light at a good price do you have any pics?
ReeferDude

Re: led reef lights

Postby MM on Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I wil see what i can do on a pic, If you are talking about the Apollo I have it on a forty but not much in the tank, it was an aptsai tank now covered with tulip nems, and some preditory fish, I am trying to think of something i can move in there and see how it does, maybe i will move some sps in there just to test it out, a water change and some sps. maybe this weekend. It really is a ton of light and it must be clean light as the micro algaes have been receeding and the marcros taking over in tank that gets very little maintanence.

- Mark
MM

Postby muskee82 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 pm

So I think I'm going to break down and buy 2 led's fixtures (anywhere from 120-212w e-bay fixtures, not sure yet - my tank is a 150xt so I need extra par etc to penetrate deeper into the tank) for my 150 to replace my radium 250w 20k's. It's time to replace the bulbs and I'll spend $200 on new bulbs or $300-500 on new led's. Plus the obvious power consumption decrease and no need to replace led's year after year.

My big question for MM and others that have these fixtures is: most of you seem to have 1:1 ratio led e-bay fixtures of one sort or another. If you're trying to only use the led's and no supplemental lighting, are you happy with the spectrum? Would you liken it more to 14k or more towards 20k? Anyone have a 2:1 blue to white led e-bay type fixture? I'm just thinking after being used to the radiums that the 1:1 color ratio will be wayyy too white looking. I'm probably converting the tank over more to softies or possibly FOWLR, so I don't really need it to pop or be as purple as the radium 20k's, but I don't want it to look cold/white either.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
muskee82

Postby tickle on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm

My LED fixture will be in sometime next week. So if you wanted to wait and see my results I think you'd be pleased .it's all DIY but for a 100 Watt system it cost less than 200 with meanwell drivers. They make a whole array of lenses and allow you to focus the beam to penetrate deeper, IE. 120 lenses for your coverage and 60 lenses to get your beam or hotspots. If you want more info pm. I got 10 10watt fixtures but they make single units all the way up to 250. Many other reefers have been using the same fixture I am and it's tried and proven.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby JacobFonsecn on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 pm

If you're trying to only use the led's and no supplemental lighting, are you happy with the spectrum? Would you liken it more to 14k or more towards 20k?

JacobFonsecn

Postby tickle on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:46 am

I would say its about a 14k look for a 1:1 ratio if you run the blues and whites at the same percentage. I do notice that my oranges reds and pinks don't pop as much. I'm going to try the cree leds over my 125. I'll be adding red green and uv to the mix. I may even just build half the fixture and the run a 14k 250 watt mh on the other side to compare.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Previous

Return to MARS General