Bryopsis and Kent Tech M question???

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Bryopsis and Kent Tech M question???

Postby kevinmichael77 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm fighting a pretty bad case of bryopsis right now and have read that dosing with magnesium has been found to help get rid of this annoying algae. My question is how much do I dose on a daily basis? I have a 33gallon tank and pretty much all my live rock is covered. I tested my magnesium level and if I did it correctly its around 1500ppm. I've read different things on the web so I just wanted to know how much to add on a daily basis to combate this stuff. I just started two days ago and thus far I've just been adding 4 cap fulls. If ya got any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
kevinmichael77

Re: Bryopsis and Kent Tech M question???

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:58 pm

More importantly is not how high the level is but how quick (or rather slowly) you raise and lower it. You need to raise it slowly and when done, lower it slowly. I would keep raising until you see an effect, but don't go fast! From what I've read, you cannot really kill anything by going too high, as long as it's done slowly. Once you see it starting to work, then maintain that level for at least a few weeks, or until its gone, then slowly bring it back down (add every other day instead of daily, or less of it daily, etc). One mistake lots of people make is that after it works, they just STOP adding it. That will drop your level in a hurry and crash your tank in no time. Gotta keep adding it, but less quantity or less frequency.

One thing is if you have corals, don't be alarmed when you see some bleaching of your corals. Once back to normal levels, the colors will come back. It may take months, but believe me (from experience) the colors will come back. If you have zoas, they will bleach out more than other corals. The skirts will probably turn clear, but don't be alarmed, they will come back with time once levels are back to normal.

If you need some tech-m, pm me, I still have some left over from when I did it about a year ago. I'm located on west side of Madison. I'd recommend getting the gallon jug, since it will take quite a bit to complete the cycle (up and down) and you don't want to run out or you could be in trouble. The key is not having large swings in levels and go slow. Good luck!
shoota

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:00 pm

And sounds like you know this, but use Tech-M only. No other mag supp seems to work for this... its not the magnesium that does it, but a trace element in Tech-M that does it.
Last edited by shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoota

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Be sure to test daily and keep a log. That's what I did and seemed to help. Mine was up above 1900 with a full stocked reef and no lost corals or fish...if done correctly.
shoota

Postby kevinmichael77 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:14 pm

So do you think that I'm adding enought at this point or should I raise/lower the dosage at this point? Also I think the test kit I have only goes up to 1500ppm so I'm not sure how to really test the levels beyond that.

Thanks for the heads up on bringing the levels back down, I am still a newbie at all this and I would have just stopped dosing once the die off happened. Looks like I'm going to have to get some more for sure, guess I'll have to do another order unless Petco carries this stuff.

Thanks
kevinmichael77

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:28 pm

I would continue what your doing. I added about 8-10 caps per day until it was gone, but mine wasn't as bad as it sounds like yours is. My total volume with sump is about 75-80g, so maybe double or 2.5 times your water volume (depending if you have a sump). Based on lots of reading, you don't want to raise more than 100ppm per day, so that's what I was shooting for. Everyone says slower is better...

I couldn't find any LFS that stocked Tech-M and had to order a gallon jug from Drs F&S. Still got over half a gallon if you need lmk. Not sure about Petco. But I'd def recommend the gallon jug, it cost about $40 if I remember correctly, but will save you money in the long run. I freaked out when bleaching happened but read online that happens, so that eased my mind. And my colors came back now that its been awhile being back to normal levels...
shoota

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Just watch how much your increase is each day with 4 capfuls and increase/decrease to shoot for around 100ppm per day, or lil less if it makes you more comfortable. Same with bringing it back down, I'd say no more than 100ppm per day. I think it took me about a month or two for cycle, but its been awhile now so can't remember exactly. Hope this helps...

And as for test kit, I'm not sure which one you using, but I bought the Seachem ReefStatus test kit and it works for higher levels. It's got more steps, and takes more time to get a reading, but in my mind it was worth it for the thousands of dollars in corals and fish that I have. It seemed to be pretty precise also. I got it at Drs F&S also, not sure if it's sold locally. It comes in a white box with red lettering on it...
shoota

Postby kevinmichael77 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I have a Salifert test kit that I bought when I purchased the Kent Tech-m. I guess I could just work my way back up the scale and that should tell me where my levels are at. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I would certainly take that jug off your hands I just don't know when I would be able to make it to Madison in the near future. With school and work my free time is pretty limited at this point but if I do get some time I'll let you know for sure. Thanks again for all the great advice.

One last question that I forgot to address before. Do you do water changes while your going through this process? Currently I'm only changing about 5 gallons a week out of my tank. Also I don't have a sump or anything it's just a Red Sea Max 130d that I bought from a guy on here last fall.

Heres a picture of where it's at now in the hopes I can post a after picture and it will be night and day.
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (128 KiB) Viewed 846 times
kevinmichael77

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 pm

I've read that it's up in the air whether you should do waterchanges. In my opinion, I believe you should. That's what I did. I did less frequent water changes, but still do them. The reason is that you still want to keep your other params in check. The argument is that you are adding trace elements and "feeding the algae" with water changes. I think the tech-m kills it, so as long as you keep increasing it, you should eliminate the algae.

Just be sure your "new" water for changes is same as the level you are currently at. Basically, test your mag level in the "new" water before you do your change, and then bump it up with how ever much tech-m you need to get to the level you are at in your display. For example, if you are at 1500 in the display, I would add your tech-m to the display to raise it the 100ppm for the day BEFORE you do your water change (so you are now at 1600 before water change), then be sure your "new" water tests at 1600 (add tech-m to the "new" water as needed) and then do your water change. Same goes when you are on the decrease side of the cycle. Just important that you be sure the params match up, otherwise your mag levels go back down and you just eliminated all the progress you have made increasing it, and also risk crashing it because you may have just dropped the levels too quickly.

I hope I explained it clear enough, if not, feel free to pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can chat.
shoota

Postby kevinmichael77 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Cool man I appreciate it. I didn't even think about the levels for the new water. Good thing I asked on here cause I didn't do my homework very well.
kevinmichael77

Postby limpit on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:16 am

From the picture you posted IMO you do not have Bryopsis but hair algae instead.
Bryopsis has a more feathery look to it.
Here is some reading and pics of Bryopsis http://www.hawaii.edu/reefalgae/invasiv ... ennata.htm
limpit

Postby Rslinger on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:39 am

Go to reefcleanera.org they have a great id section and if you send them pictures they can really pin it down and tell you how to get it gone
Rslinger

Postby Rslinger on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:40 am

I ment reefcleaners.org
Rslinger

Postby shoota on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:30 am

Yea looks like derbesia, not bryopsis. Bryopsis is more "feather" like (also called feather calupra). Tech-M will work for both. I had derbesia and tried everything before going the Tech-M route. Still worked for me with no ill effects if done right. The problem with both is that nothing will eat it unless you pull it down as far as you can each and every day, and by the looks of you tank, its gonna get out of hand and nothing will keep up with it. At least that was my experiences.
shoota

Postby Aimforever on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Agreed that is not bryopsis. I'm not sure how well Tech M works for hair algae, but for bryopsis you will get better & faster results if you slowly drizzle the Tech M directly onto the algae using a syringe rather than just adding it to the system.
Aimforever

Next

Return to MARS General