brittle star spawn

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

brittle star spawn

Postby Rslinger on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

I just watched fifty or more little brittle stars spawn....can this have a bad effect does it add waste to your tank. I am surprised to see so many.
Rslinger

Re: brittle star spawn

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Yes I've heard of this, with brittle stars, clams, etc and it COULD be catastrophic. If I was you, I'd be doing a water change right now and testing my parameters daily, or even every few hours. Depending on water volume, it could throw params thru the roof. Also, if something spawns, it may trigger other inverts or corals to spawn, which could be a crazy domino effect... I'd do a nice size water change for sure.
shoota

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:45 pm

In my opinion a water change won't hurt and can only help. Just my opinion...
shoota

Postby Rslinger on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Dang it will have to get water started I just did a water change ten minutes before it happened.
Rslinger

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Then maybe test your params and keep an eye on it. I just think, depending on how much money you have wrapped up in corals and fish, it be worth it in my mind. I don't want to scare you, but I'd hate to think you were in the clear and the params spike... It's really up to you. Not sure the volume of your system... I would think a smaller system would be more affected than a larger one I would think. It's the trigger of other corals and inverts spawning that would make me worried.
shoota

Postby Rslinger on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Total vol is around 100 gallons I got the water started and I noticed my swc is going nuts. Thanks for the info hopefully this works out.
Rslinger

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Good luck. I'll try to find the article I read on this. It was very interesting. I had never experienced it, but sounded like it could be a problem that is often overlooked and not thought of as important. Def not trying to scare you, just hate to see things crash when a simple water change may have helped the situation.
shoota

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm

It was in my magazine Aquarium Fish International, March 2012 issue. But I cannot get an electronic copy of it :( I would recommend the magazine if you don't get it. Lots of good info. It's both freshwater and saltwater, which is downside since I don't do freshwater, but for $12 for 12 issues (monthly) you can't beat the price. It was in the Reef Aquarist section. I'll pull out the important sections for you...

Written by Charles Delbeek, M.SC. who is an aquarium biologist for Steinhart Aquarium (one of the biggest, or the biggest, in San Francisco, CA)

"For example, when host anenome species spawn, such as bulb-tentacle anemones, they can release vast amounts of milky sperm into the water. This will quickly turn your tank into a jug of milk, resulting in drops in pH and oxygen in a few hours as the sperm begins to decay. You can lose a lot of fish as a result. The same thing can happen with Tridacna clams. When the male clams release sperm, the whole tank can become a white soup. If you have more than one clam in the system, chances are that they will also release sperm or eggs in response, as can other organisms, such as algae-eating snails and worms. I have seen both such events when I worked at the Waikiki Aquarium. In one such case, an exhibit of Entacmea (BTA) spawned overnight and several fish were lost, and this was in an open system! In another closed system, two large specimens of Tridacna gigas spawned in the early evening, turning a 5,000 gallon reef system into a tub of milk. Luckily, in the latter case, there was an evening event going on at the time, so I was notified and came in at about 8:00pm. I was able to start the tank flushing with seawater overnight, and we did not lose any fish. Both of these events highlight the chances for catastrophe that a spawning event can have in an aquarium. Depending on the size and number of organisms involved, not all such spawning events are catastrophic...."

I hope this helps. I just read this (March 2012 issue) and when you asked that question, I thought I'd share with ya. I hope you don't have issues, but water change seems like it couldn't hurt.
shoota

Postby Rslinger on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Yeah I have that issue laying around here somewhere haven't read it haven't had time will have to pull it out!!!
Rslinger

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Cool! Yah its in beginning of that issue. Not to sound the alarm, but sounds like it could ne trouble. I like the magazine, seems to hit on some good topics. Nice reading material for on the pooper lmao that's where mine goes when it comes :)
shoota

Return to MARS General