Coil Denitrator - Anyone using one?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Coil Denitrator - Anyone using one?

Postby lancewlarsen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Anyone else running a Coil Denitrator?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/do-y ... 49635.html

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitrat ... 092702.htm

Pretty simple DIY build - planning on putting one together - but always looking for first hand experiences for other MARS'ites.

My big question is - is bigger better for bigger systems? With the 2 tanks (180g + 56g) + 100g+ sump combined - would be nice to have more than the 1.5 drops / sec that they are recommending in the articles. So assuming higher flow == longer coil to go to zero O2, and thus larger container for coil. Love feedback.

...Lance
lancewlarsen

Re: Coil Denitrator - Anyone using one?

Postby shoota on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Never heard of this, but just a quick google search shows not many (if any) people use them much anymore. If nitrates are a problem, id get a reactor and some GFO. Or increase live rock in your system somehow.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f219/diy-coil-denitrator-151767.html
shoota

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 am

Ten or fifteen years ago I made and ran (for a short time) a slow flow denitrator -- no coil, just a cylinder of media that water ran through at a few drops per second. Same theory as a coil, really. Anyway, water into the reactor was high nitrate (probably 25ppm); effluent was undetectable nitrates. I ran the unit until it leaked (bad engineering) and started an electrical fire in the wall behind the tank. :shock:

I've read that long term use seems to be problematic -- some folks either get cyano/HA/other odd problems, and some other folks' denitrators seem simply to stop denitrifying (probably from lack of available organic carbon or some similar compound, I'd guess). I've also read that they can be hard to dial in (unit sizing and flow rates affect effluent NH3 and NO2 levels). I think it would be worth a go if you like DIYing.
Socratic Monologue

Postby shoota on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Sounds like people don't use them anymore because of the nitrogen gas and hyrdogen sulfide build up, which could crash system in a heartbeat. You said you had short-term use and I'm guessing you probably didn't get that far. Seems no way to clean and eliminate the possible build up without exposing to oxygen and having to re-cycle. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, but it's your system :) I think technology has come a long ways, and there are other better and safer methods.
shoota

Return to MARS General