My New H. Magnifica

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

My New H. Magnifica

Postby Sula on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 am

Hi guys - yesterday marked 10 days that this Nem has been in my tank, so I am cautiously optimistic that it's going to make it.
It's a Heteractis Magnifica, purplish- blue base and a good 8-10" in diameter.
My Ocellaris clowns approve :)

When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Re: My New H. Magnifica

Postby Landon on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 am

Nice. :D
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Sula on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks Landon :)
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Rueg on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Looks good!
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Looks great! I'm surprised you have pictures without the clowns in it!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Sula on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Well, the clowns spend a lot of time darting in and out....I might have to take a picture after dark just to show them in the Nem.
Usually I'm feeling lucky if I can see this much when the lights are on..

Sula

Postby Conrad25 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 am

Looking good. the relationship between clowns and nems are such a neat thing to see always. I love mine and probably why I have three nems now in the tank. Looking good. Just watch that mouth closely as they should close up and protrude out once fully settled in. :D
300G DD Starfire Display, 365G Sump with downdraft skimmers
Conrad25

Location: Milwaukee, WI (1 minute away from WI state fair grounds)

Postby Sula on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Yes, I don't think we are quite in the "settled in" stage just yet. The nem looked pretty much like hell yesterday, today looks decent again so apparently we are still in the adjustment period. Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks in the tank.
Sula

Postby MM on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Very nice Sue, those do have the annoying habbit of parking themselves on the front glass, they like smooth surfaces and to be high in the tank. I have seen people put them on inverted vases in the tank so they are on a smooth surface and cant get any higher, good luck with him. - mark
MM

Postby Sula on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 am

Yea, I've seen my fair share of anemone butts :?
Once I moved all the RBTAs out of this tank, the Mag seemed very happy to take over the spot. Within 24 hrs he settled on the rock and hasn't moved since.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I need to adjust my flow - most who have kept these successfully are advocating alternate flow. I have an MP10 behind the nem in reef crest mode but not sure that is enough, I may need to set up some kind of wavemaker function with powerheads on timers, etc...
Thanks for the positive thoughts, we're past the 2 week mark but still not 100% settled in I think.
Sula

Postby Conrad25 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:08 am

It really varies on the specific nem. I have had my purple with green tips a year now and he moved down in my tank as it seemed my led lights were too much and has been happy ever since. It loves alternating flow, but not hardcore I would say as I have one polario 4ml in the tank to cause alternating flow about 12" from it which it goes from 400,600,1000gph flow each way every couple of seconds and it loves it just on the tips of its tentacles. I also have a brand new little tiny green mag that is in recovery mode and loves the spot where my purple mag was previously. So I would say if its not moving and is eating, don't change a thing atleast till its fully settled in IMO. I also have a s. Purple gigantea. Carpet nem that hasn't had problems with each other
Conrad25

Postby Sula on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 pm

I just googled polario - had never heard of this product before. Do you basically place this in the middle of the tank and have it alternate flow toward each end? It's kind of like the inverse of having opposing powerheads.....

I'm also intrigued by your acquisition of a small Mag - was this found locally?
Sula

Postby Conrad25 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 pm

That's exactly what you do with the polario. It works great and is about the same noise I would say as an mp10. I can't hear it unless I'm really listening over the couple of fans running on my lights. Its also much much cheaper and I been running one I would say about a year now since they came out. I also got a new h. Mag nem last weekend on the Wrs bus trip to IL fish stores. Found it for 30.00 which wasn't bad and he's about 3-4" and eating like crazy. So I'm thinking I will see a speedy recovery and color up from him. Can't wait as I really wanted a nice green one for the longest time. I began with one nem and its been an additction now. So I will need to buy my Basement display tank soon lol.
Conrad25

Postby Sula on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 am

I am happy to be a member of your addiction support group :)
Be sure to get some pictures of your new guy!
Sula

Postby Conrad25 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:07 am

Phone camera pictures quick as requested, sorry its been a few weeks. Just making sure the guy was going to do alright and he is recovering well. But I'm betting it will take atleast 6 months to do a recovery fully for him since he was almost bleached out fully

Full Tank 4/24/12

3/26/2012 - Just got him and looks fully bleached almost

4/25/12

My old H. Mag I've had for about a year now and will be going in a new cube tank with a single large evil clown I have in a biocube
Conrad25

Return to MARS General