Short read will require more invesitgation

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Short read will require more invesitgation

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

I had read a while back that herpes viruses were causing problems with sea turtles, too.

The last passage in the article (about asexual creatures catching herpes) makes me realize that, of course, this is just sensationalist reporting; it is stupidly implying that this has something to do with the the human virus.
Socratic Monologue

Postby SeeingGreen on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Giz has never been a high caliber news source, but the article got me searching around for more credible info.
SeeingGreen

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm not familiar with the site; I just read the article.

What did you learn? Anything interesting? I'd be curious to know whether there is some primary factor besides climate change and agricultural/sewage runoff (the only two I've heard about) that is importantly implicated in reef declines.
Socratic Monologue

Herpes virus in animals 101

Postby Chyendra on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Fun facts:
Most species carry their own variety of herpes virus, or even several varieties of herpes virus. In general, they affect the respiratory, neurologic, and reproductive systems. In the veterinary world there's two general saying about herpes; 1. "Herpes is for life" meaning the virus remains latent in parts of the body and symptoms can reoccur during times of stress.
2. "While catching your own species herpes is no fun, catching another species herpes can be deadly!" For example human herpes virus can be deadly to pet monkeys and some monkeys carry a herpes B virus that can be fatal to humans.

I wonder if many coral species carry a latent herpes virus and during times of stress (poor water quality ect.) it recurs and causes bleaching, RTN ect..... Just a thought.
Chyendra

Return to MARS General