Lighting observations

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Lighting observations

Postby MM on Thu May 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I have LEDs on one tank, nothing tough to keep in there but the one thing i have noticed is that the clean spectrum is not good for nuisance algae. I am starting to like the idea more and more as prices come down.

and last observation, i am over T5s, the only plus is the huge selection, they are too expensive, use too many ballasts taht blow easily, they are crap minus the awesome selection

I guess i am slowly going over to Halides as the rest of the hobby moves away from them. #-o
MM

Re: Lighting observations

Postby meisen on Tue May 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Interesting. I think I've accepted that T5s are a little more efficient (heatwise) at producing light over haildes but the aesthetics still do nothing for me. Halide lit tanks look the best to my eye but LEDs are getting close. LED efficiency, low temp and controllability knocks it out of the park, they just need to work on a few more issues before they are a no brainer (durability, cost and spectrum). I imagine I'll be all LED in the next couple of years.
meisen

Postby lordhowensis on Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm interested in your observations as I'm thinking about switching some of my tanks over to leds. Keep us updated!!
lordhowensis

Postby Jake on Tue May 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Same here, I've tried every kind of light out there.. I have 3w led's that I got from rapidled.com on my nano and LOVE them. The shimmer is unreal and the output is insane. Takes forever to wire them up though and buying a pre-made fixture will really run you over on price..
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby Conrad25 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 am

So if your have observed your not getting nuiscance algae, why would you want to move back to halides? I do see some people switching back to halides due to them having better results. I do have two of the china made 3w driven at 2w pendants and love them. The color is good and everything. I also didn't mind my halides at all. The only real reason I had switched is due to bulb replacements as they will be paid off within one year of running them in savings.
300G DD Starfire Display, 365G Sump with downdraft skimmers
Conrad25

Location: Milwaukee, WI (1 minute away from WI state fair grounds)

Return to MARS General