disease on duncans?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

disease on duncans?

Postby shoota on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I've got a colony of about 80 duncans that I've had in my tank for over a year. Recently I noticed some bright yellow colored "eggs" type (not sure how to describe it) around the coralites when polyps are closed. Polyps seem to be more closed lately and when they are open, they definetely not as extended as they used to be. Wondering if anyone else experience this before. When I hit it with a baster it comes off the coral. I have 30+ other assorted corals that are all doing excellent. All the fish are happy and healthy too. I'm thinkin maybe a dip of coralRx is in order... thanks for looking and any help you may provde.
shoota

Re: disease on duncans?

Postby plainrt on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I has also at one point then while later dead.........not sure what they were or had anything to do with it.
plainrt

Postby shoota on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:17 am

Thanks for the info. Reading the web seems it might be the start of brown jelly disease... I sure hope not. Weird thing is I have a frogspawn that is extended like mad and doesn't seem to be affected. Did yours turn into brown jelly disease or just necrosis till it was gone? Just curious if you can remember... polyps try to come out today, but only half open... maybe I'll try a dip today. Any suggestions on dip? Lugols, CoralRx, or ReVive? I read lugols for diseases... thanks again
shoota

Postby Patrick on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Sounds like something is picking on them, maybe an emerald crab or peppermint shrimp. My chevron tang will mess with my duncan now and again and when he does my duncans also spill their guts a yellow almost stringy lookin blob from the center of the polyp. If you have a pic of it put it up and I can tell you if it looks like mine. good luck either way.
Patrick

Postby shoota on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks pat. How u been? I try to get a pic but no good camera for that close macro.. its not really spewing I wouldn't say, but looks more like lil yellow dots or eggs sporadically around the outside edges of polyps. Just like Rods Eggs, but instead of orange they're yellow and maybe a lil smaller. I'm not gonna worry, just watch for a few days. They were out further today than I've seen in a few weeks... who knows lol the wonders of reefkeeping :)
shoota

Postby plainrt on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Turned into brown jelly
plainrt

Return to MARS General