Need Help Setting up Sump

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Need Help Setting up Sump

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:27 pm

I have a brand new 65 gallon tank I'm itching to get set up. I have a sump for it but I still need to get a pump for it and the proper plumbing. The sump I have also has an overflow box but I keep reading about how bad they are. Bummer. Now I'm wondering about drilling the tank. Is this a tough thing to do? I know glassholes has a kit but I'm pretty nervous about doing it myself. What size pump would I need? I'm hoping for a lot of mu sump to be a fuge so I guess low flow is the way to go. I just don't understand about matching the drain with the flow of the return pump. I've been researching until my eyes are ready to bleed and I still need help :(
Blue2Fyr3

Re: Need Help Setting up Sump

Postby jelly on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 pm

i personaly wouldnt drill the tank, just use a good overflow. as for the pump you get by with a 900gph pump with a vavle to adjust the flow to what you want. aslong as your pump isnt rated for more then the overflow box is you are find. if you get a pump that is rated for more you need to adjust teh flow with a ball valave. if you pump is to big your tank could overflow cause the overflow is unable to handle that amount of water. hope this helps you a little. and im sure there will be other who have something to say. good luck
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 am

Really? I'm just worried about the tank flooding. Also the overflow is a dual over flow which works out to about 1200 GPH. Do I need a pump to match that? It seems like really fast flow going through my sump
Blue2Fyr3

Postby Rslinger on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:51 am

No you can go under not over. On my 75 I am putting about 900 through and it works great.
Rslinger

Postby SPSKeeper on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Blue2Fyr3 wrote:Really? I'm just worried about the tank flooding. Also the overflow is a dual over flow which works out to about 1200 GPH. Do I need a pump to match that? It seems like really fast flow going through my sump

Like jelly said you can always install a ball valve to control the flow. Do you have any pics of the setup? It might give people a better understanding to see what your working with and the height/length and all that stuff. Other than that I have never needed a sump so can't really help, sorry.
SPSKeeper

Postby tickle on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 am

As long as the tank isnt tempered id drill it. Might be one of the easiest things youve ever done. I know mine took about 10 minutes. I got the kit from glassholes. Comes with everything, plus a template and some candy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby Tonis56 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 am

tickle wrote:As long as the tank isnt tempered id drill it. Might be one of the easiest things youve ever done. I know mine took about 10 minutes. I got the kit from glassholes. Comes with everything, plus a template and some candy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

+1 for drilling and using the glassholes kit. It has everything you need, is super easy to install and very reliable. Siphon overflow boxes can be a pain in the butt. If you lose the siphon in the tube due to power loss, when your tank turns on again you will be overflowing. The glassholes overflow works on gravity, when the level of the tank reaches the overflows, it starts to flow again. I drilled my old 120g a few years back with the glassholes overflow and I couldn't have been happier.
Tonis56

Postby tickle on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 am

I just drilled one for a guy today, he came over and was nervous and I think after he seen how smooth it went he couldnt believe it lol.
Like posted before you wont have to worry about a siphon break, you might have to worry about algae getting in there and plugging it up but thats only if you are lazy
tickle

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks :) I think I am going to end up drilling. I put the overflow box on my tank today and it is HUGE! Drilling will take up a lot less space it seems
Blue2Fyr3

Return to MARS General