Lighting

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Lighting

Postby Jake on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey Mark,

I'm out of the scene lately and just have a biocube but I did a 6 - 3w DIY LED conversion with it and have been running LED's only for about 2 years now with no issues. The output is insane and was easier to put together than I thought. I will never go back to anything else and I'm a pretty big skeptic.

Check out rapidled.com

Hope all is well with you,

-Jake
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby MM on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Very cool! Yes everything is good here. Getting ready for the early kick off of the frag swap season.

Would love some pics of a tank that has been under LED for years. In fact I would love to see a whole thread of pics of tanks under LED. It would be very cool if you started a thread of show me your long time LED lit tank pics.

I have been thinking of experimenting with the Kessil pendants on a smaller tank or as blue supplement for MHs. I love their concept - a pendant with a side mount flexable arm. Too expensive but doable. Two 400$ pendants for 90 gal, or one for 40 gal. Cheaper than MH in the long run but not sure about the performance as a comparison. If I am growing acans they need color and growth as good or better than the MH for me to become a believer.

- Mark
MM

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 pm

MM wrote: their deaths as they were observing fusion.

So, it is a dangerous process, eh? :)
Socratic Monologue

Postby Jake on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Let me see if I can get you a picture of my little cube. I can tell you that when I open that hood my neighbors probably think a space craft has landed. Those 3w Crees are no joke. Crazy bright. I'm running half blue and half white. In retrospect I'd run more blue than white because the par is there either way. They have one of those Kessil leds at Paradigm in Madison and I was NOT impressed. A flashlight is brighter. I don't think it was the big model though. I should probably post all these old lights I have. I have 1 - 150 HQI, 2 - 250 HQI, and 1- 36" VHO laying around still. Red Sea wave maker.. All that stuff.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby MM on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 am

yeah most of the kessel users are switching to their higher watt model. I really like the design of that light with the pendant arm but 400$ for their tunable higher wattage pendant that everyone is switching to. - mark
MM

Postby tickle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 am

The kessils are based off of a multi chip. You can get a 100 watt multichip for around 80 bucks on the top end. 20 bucks for a CPU cooler and 40-50 for a meanwell driver. I've saw people putting these types of setups into PVC tubing to get the kessil look. This hobby is like most others in the fact that you can go out and buy a rtr kit and simply do nothing and pay a ton. Go buy the components and stick some time into it and you get the same results at 1/2 the cost.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby bradhass87 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 am

tickle, you seem to be fairly knowledge able on the led diy topic. So I pose the question to you of what components would I use to make a diy led setup for a 24" deep tank stocking mainly lps on the bottom? (It's a 120g tank so i would like to do two different fixtures over each half to keep from wasting light on the center brace. Going for a 14k-ish look) Or is there a place that would guide me to the right components?
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby jelly on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:55 am

how much are you willing to spend on the DIY. i wouldnt use any thing other then Cree LEDs. i know others will say there are other just as good but cree is the best. ecotech marine radions even use crees. i have 165 leds over my 180. you will need 2 blue leds for every white led and a good dimmable meanwell driver.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby tickle on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm

bradhass87 wrote:tickle, you seem to be fairly knowledge able on the led diy topic. So I pose the question to you of what components would I use to make a diy led setup for a 24" deep tank stocking mainly lps on the bottom? (It's a 120g tank so i would like to do two different fixtures over each half to keep from wasting light on the center brace. Going for a 14k-ish look) Or is there a place that would guide me to the right components?

The depth is what factors spacing and optics. The number of leds or watts of power is figured using the formula that is.

LxW/16=x then take x*3.

That's what I've saw everyone using the Crees using. I applied it to my multichip setup and its worked amazing. I used a 1:1 ratio of white to blue and I run them on separate channels and I can get any color I desire basically.

I got most my info from various forums and if you want some more info feel free to pm me and I can direct you.

I'm no expert on this and this is the 1st setup I've built and I'm currently working on building on a $4 fuge chip. I'm just sharing my experience and so far it has worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Previous

Return to MARS General