New huge build starts today!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New huge build starts today!

Postby Gonzo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:03 am

Finally getting started.
I am looking for advice thou, I am getting a custom built tank size are 72" x 24" x 29". I think about 220 gallons about for this size. would like to do at least a 55 gallon sump and 55 gallon refug.
First before the build starts I am trying to figure out my overflow pipe size recommendations
i am having two built both on the 24 inch sides of the tank. The tank is going into my wall and will be seen from both rooms.
Also looking to build the stand and have tossed around the idea of doing one out of wood or have a custom metal stand made to hold the weight etc?
I dont have a sump or refug right now in current tank but want to do that as well in my basement so if any one has the know how and can share there advice i would greatly appreciate it a ton. Better yet if someone lives up near the portage area and can stop by and share your thoughts over a beverage or two i would be willing to listen.

Currently i have a 55 up running for about the last year and its been doing great so of course wanting to expand......
thinking this fall winter to get this going after i get the tank and so on.

thanks in advance for your support and knowledge...
Gonzo

Re: New huge build starts today!

Postby Socratic Monologue on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't have any experience in residential in-wall installations, but I have a few thoughts to get things started.

Gonzo wrote: I think about 220 gallons about for this size. would like to do at least a 55 gallon sump and 55 gallon refug.

If you are thinking of using 55g glass tanks for this, you might want to reconsider. Will your planned skimmer fit in a 55 and be easily serviceable? Also, a 55 is a really crummy shape for a 'fuge; it is a display tank, not a macroalgae growing tank. 100g+ stock tanks would be better for both, and not really any more expensive, and easier to drill for external pumps and other plumbing.

Gonzo wrote:First before the build starts I am trying to figure out my overflow pipe size recommendations
i am having two built both on the 24 inch sides of the tank. The tank is going into my wall and will be seen from both rooms.

Two things: are you going to want to see through the tank into the other room? And do you want to see the overflows, or would you rather they be obscured by aquascaping? The reason I ask is that it might be interesting to look into doing a center overflow design (that is, bottom drill the center of the tank), and have the overflow come up through a central LR structure. This is common in 360 degree tanks, but would work well in a double-sided tank, too, I think. Then you also wouldn't see through the tank to whoever is sitting on the loo (or whatever the next room is).

Also, you might give some thought to using closed loop circulation; bigger tanks seem to go this route sometimes.
Socratic Monologue

Re: New huge build starts today!

Postby Gonzo on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:54 am

Please see my Ad in Buy Sell Trade Section of MARS labled ______________FS everything_________________
I need to sell everything before wife approves the big build. Dont tell her thou tanks ordered and on its way.
Gonzo

Return to MARS General