problem with pulsing xenia

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

problem with pulsing xenia

Postby 2kids1dog on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm

I just got a pulsing xenia on Sunday. It's not looking so good right now :cry: --very shriveled and not pulsing much at all. I did try feeding it this AM with DT's...my zoos are doing fine..as is my waving hand xenia...I do have a problem right now with the nitrates being waay too high (40ppm) which I';m trying to lower with water changes...
I've heard that these corals like to be dosed with iodine? Which kind do I get and how much/often?
I've moved the xenia to an area with a bit less water flow to see if that helps too.
Any other ideas please?
My tank is a 40 gallon--no ammonia present, temp 76.5, Ph about 8 to 8.2. No nitrites according to the tests I did yesterday...just high nitrates. Do not have the other reef tests available....
I do have a reef enhancer/reef accelerator type product and a calcium additive but do not use those regularly...
2kids1dog

Re: problem with pulsing xenia

Postby Rueg on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Too much iodine can be bad. Do not dose Iodine unless you can test for it. Regular water changes should give you all the iodine you need.

What lighting do you have and how far away from the light is the Xenia?
Rueg

Postby SPSKeeper on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm

How new is the tank? It sounds like you are new to the hobby, so first off welcome to the addiction :) Xenia's can be kinda tricky, they are a very finicky coral. Even people with well established setups can't keep them because of one reason or another. Second, when corals are first introduced into your tank they have to adjust or "acclimate" to your environment. Your SG, Calcium, Magnesium, Alk, Phosphates, nitrates and trace elements are going to be different from the tank it came from. Do you know your salinity at all? What else is in there? Also, pulsing xenia may not pulse in your tank while it flourishes in another reefers tank, again for one reason or another. But once they adjust and like the tank conditions they are in they can thrive like crazy. Don't worry about adding any chemicals like iodine, one screw up or overdose with that stuff and your tank may be in serious trouble. Just do weekly water changes with a good reef salt and that will replenish everything you need for beginner corals. Also, what type of lighting do you have? A tank shot would be great if you can get one.
SPSKeeper

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 am

Thanks for the info so far! My tank has been running for 2 years, previously as a FOWLR, but I just started trying my hand with zoos the last 4 months or so. I have a coral beauty, a fairy wrasse, a lyretail Anthias, 1 small clown fish , an algae goby and a blue/green Mandarin goby (who eats everything :D ) I have a few hermit crabs and a horseshoe crab.
I feed small amounts twice a day..flakes in the AM and a frozen food at night (usually bloodworms or brine shrimp--mostly so I know my Mandarin has eaten those because he's probably wiped out the copepods pretty good)
My lights are just a dual HO T5, 36" 10,0000K/actinic. I have been using a neat blue actinic LED at night too...makes my zoos look really nice! I'm afraid I'm not as fancy as most of you on here...no sump, no skimmer, no refugium. I have a UV sterilzer, a Whisper EX30 HOB filter and a Hydor Koralia circulating pump.
I try to do water changes of at least 5-6 gallons every 2 weeks. Maybe I'm not taking out enough? I'm using RO water from the grocery store also, and just a little tap water to take care of weekly evaporation. I check my salt gravity every few days, and am generally at 1.026.
Any opinions on what I'm doing okay or what I should be doing better? Thanks much!!
2kids1dog

Postby Rueg on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am

Xenia likes medium to high light. Where is the Xenia placed in the tank? You could try moving it up closer to the light.

You probably are going to want to do weekly water changes to get your nitrates down. Any way you can test the RO water you are getting from the grocery store? The water changes won't help that much if the source water is high in nitrates. You may want to look into getting a RO/DI unit.
Rueg

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 am

I was told that the person I bought it from had it about 2 inches off the sand bed. I've read that sometimes too much flow will keep them from opening up fully, so that's why I didn't put it up higher. With the smaller size of my tank, I do have current pretty much everywhere, from the filter, UV and pump...
I do have some zoos on the bottom and they are open, but I will try moving it up higher too. Thanks!!!
2kids1dog

Postby tickle on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 am

How old are your bulbs? I've never had any luck with Xenia for some reason. I can grow everything else just not that stuff.

2 inches off the sand bed in your tank might be half the par in the next guys tank. Do you know what type of lighting the other person was using?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Return to MARS General