Introduction of a newbie & Aiptasia question

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Introduction of a newbie & Aiptasia question

Postby Robbins549 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 am

Hello Madison,
My name is Corey. I'm very new to the hobby, so I joined the local forum to try to answer any questions I have or will encounter in the future. I don't have anything special as of now, just a 29gal Biocube with a chromis, yellow goby and a dozen CUC creatures. I bought it a little over 2 weeks ago from a seller on CL who had it up and running for a few months, but couldn't keep up with it. The daytime light was out and needed a little TLC. It's just getting over the algae bloom that it had when I got it, so I think it's time to start getting some corals! It's nice meeting you guys and hope to get some answers to some silly questions I may have.

My first question is regarding Aiptasia. I currently have 3 polyps <1/2in. tall and want to nip them in the butt before they spread. My interwebz research told me to simply go to the pharmacy and ask for a syringe and shoot them with a very small dosage of lemon juice. So, I go to the Walgreens this evening and was refused a syringe...which puzzled me and got me flustered, but that's another rant. My question now, to you guys, is how should I handle this?
Thanks again in advance!

Here's a few pics of the tank, nothing fancy.
Tank on the first day after I got the lights working properly. The CC starfish was taken back to Pet World.
Tank after 2 weeks, rearranged the landscape a bit and the CUC working it's magic!
The cat also enjoyed the new entertainment!
Robbins549

Re: Introduction of a newbie & Aiptasia question

Postby tickle on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 am

Dont quote me on this but that looks like a chocolate chip starfish in your 1st picture and I believe those are not reef safe.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=2967

Otherwise great looking tank, I went to my local drugstore and got a syringe they gave it to me no questions asked. Ive done the lemon juice route in the past and it seemed to work. There is also a guy here selling the aiptasia eating nudis maybe give him a call.
tickle

Postby Robbins549 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks tickle. The starfish was returned to pet world after I researched that, beginners mistake of impulse buying! I saw the Nudis for sale too and may post over there to see if anyone is doing a buy and bringing it back to Madison. I was just worried it may starve since I don't have much Aiptasia and haven't researched their other dietary needs.
Robbins549

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 pm

You can buy syringes (and needles, if you need them) locally at Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply Company stores, in the livestock/farm supply section.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Robbins549 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks, but no more need for the syringes. Just bought 2 natural solutions from Jeromi. They seem to be happy and hopefully take care of the Aiptasia problems.

Robbins549

Postby jelly on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 am

The nudis will work great but they will die once they have no more food to eat. The battle of aiptasia is never over really, you will buy a coral or more rock with one and not know it and will have to take care of it. Another issue that you will come to know are mojaho’s and they are hard to kill and from what I know there really isn’t anything that will eat them. While the nudis will work for now your best to find ways that can kill them later when you see an issue again. The nudis are normally expensive and hard to find at times and only eat aiptasia. With you having such a small tank and looks to be only a few rocks the best thing is to remove the rock and cut the problem anemones’ out, if you can’t do that try to get some pickling lime (kalk) and mix into a paste and put some on their oral disk and they will die fast. Just don’t use a lot.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby Robbins549 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks Jelly, I'll keep that in mind. I was also told that Aiptasia X is a good and quick chemical method of dealing with them. Could you link a picture of Mojaho's? I did a quick google search that didn't turn up anything. Thanks for all the advice.
Robbins549

Postby shoota on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am

they are called majano anemones... even worse than aptasia :/
shoota

Postby Gonzo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 pm

If you want a fix to the aiptasia issue:
The answer is peppermint shrimp and only from Florida waters. I only speak of my results with them. I had about 4-5 aiptasia on one rock and i ordered a dozen of them not knowing truly how many i had that i did not see. about two weeks later. all the aiptasisa is gone and i have not had any issues since than.
Other than that good water conditions and changes and you should not have any future issues.

Good luck.
Gonzo

Return to MARS General