sad day

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

sad day

Postby MM on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 pm

it is a sad day as i just retired my homemade equipment from my upstairs tank. It has been flopping back and forth the last several years from doing great for a few months to doing the opposite for several months and I was not correcting what ever it was. The tank now has a modern skimmer and metal halide lights. The old equipment is now on a 125 growiing aipstasia in the basement. I am excited about turning the corner but i will miss the awesome tank it was for around seven years and i will miss the shocked look on peoples faces when they saw the equipment and all of the healthy coral, i will not miss the last couple of years of frustration though. But hey I am going to have a cutting edge apstasia tank in the basement! I hate to get beat on this one, but I dont care how long you have had success, one year, ten years, twenty years, eventually this hobby will humble you, cut you down to size, I did so much bragging about how all of the dogma on the internet was wrong so i guess i deserved to be beaten, LOL. I still think the dogma is mostly BS but I dont have my shining exampe anymore proving it.

- mark
MM

Re: sad day

Postby SPSKeeper on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Ouch...... Sorry to hear that. Homemade stuff can be so rewarding when it works like you want it to. Happen to have any pics? Got me curious as to what type of stuff you made and how long it lasted/was in the fritz.
SPSKeeper

Postby Rueg on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 am

Yeah - I know the one time I was over and saw your set up I probably did have the big eyes. You were keeping all kinds of healthy good looking stuff in a tank ran with power filters and bulbs from Wal-mart.

Sorry you are taking it down.
Rueg

Postby MM on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 pm

well I am leaving the tank up, just switching it to Metal Halide with XM bulbs w/vho and a large hang-on octopus skimmer. I do really like the look of MH/vho but I will miss tank that was dedicted to debunking Reef Central dogma. Something was not working in the end, perhaps the quality control on the bulbs i was using had laxed, i often wonder if the volume of tanks I have has out grown my RO/DI. I am buying a comercial ro/di system next to take that worry out of the equation.

In the end having the tank run flawlessly for over five years proved the concept and to the contrary having troubles later proved the risk.

- Mark
MM

Return to MARS General