LED's

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

LED's

Postby nwieczorek on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 am

I was wondering how long you should run LED lights before changing the bulbs? DO you have to change the bulbs? I know other lights need to be changed regularly, to maintain optimum lighting. I am thinking about going to LED's but wanted to ask opinions on them.

Thanks,
Nathan
nwieczorek

Re: LED's

Postby jelly on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 pm

to me i think LEDs are the way to go.. they run cooler, save you money in the long run, and i believe are brighter.. there are alot of nice DIY kits out there if you look for them and do your homework on them.. if you want to buy a fiture i would go with the ecotech.. i have one on my 45 cube and love it.. i also have a DIY kit on my 180 and i love them to.. there are a lot of things you can do with leds you cant do with MH or any other light that is.. if you want a light that will save you money in the long run but cost you up front i would go with LEDs.. the leds will last you about 10 years without needing to be replaced.. if you want to see how how much you will save you have to figure how much it will cost to replace bulbs every year for the next 10 years and also figure out what the cost is for start up if you go with MH or T5. you also have to figure MHs get hot and heat the house making your AC work more and it will also make you need to top off water more.. these are all things you will want to consider in the long run.. ever since i went to LEDs i save on power, less water evaperation, and i dont get the heat so my tank is more stable. im sure i can say more but i think this is a good over view to help you decide on what you want to run.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby tickle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 pm

All of the above. Depending on how hard you drive them depends on how long they last as well as how well you can cool them. Most leds have a advertised lifespan of 50,000 hours. More if you under drive them. DIY leds are amazing you can get a full spectrum and run each color on a separate driver to get the exact color you want. All for about 1/2 the cost of a commercial unit. If you go DIY just make sure you buy a quality component it makes a world of difference. Do a little research on some other forums maybe give my build thread a peek ( it needs updating) it will give you a general idea. And if you decide to do it and find yourself in over your head, give me a jingle and I'd be more than happy to help a fellow reefer out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby nwieczorek on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Thank you for your help/information. I will continue to do research, but I feel that LED's seem to be the way to go.
nwieczorek

Return to MARS General