Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am

yea i plan on doing my garage floor, and from speaking with friends that have it done, the cleaner your floors the better it will stick.

They do sell the kits at menards for alot cheaper then that website, but you dont get quite the variety of colors.
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Landon on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the feedback on the epoxy floors guys... Im gonna explore all the options you all suggested and see what route would best suit this project.

I had a landscape buddy help me at the crack of dawn with some sheetrock for the ceiling. Got it all cut out and installed pretty early so I decided to run to Menards and grab some cedar panelling. It was about $18 for a 4x8 sheet... pretty reasonable. Man the smell in this room is darn nice compared to the musty, dirty smell it was before. That cedar panelling was real nice to work with and is very aromatic, it didnt chip at all when I cut it and seems pretty sturdy. I put it up with Liquid Nails and some 1.5" panelling nails. It was about $18 for a 4x8 sheet... pretty reasonable.

I also threw in the electrical for the track lights... think I'm gonna have all the outlets installed by someone certified. :D

I've decided to trim the rest of the room out real simple with white trim and will paint the ceiling white also.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys! :D

Heres a couple of shots of whats been going on...
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Carinya on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 am

Looks like a lot of work but a great start!

I'm really jealous of all that space. Maybe one of these days I can carve out some basement territory...

Keep up the good work.
Carinya

Postby polaris192 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:10 pm

I dido that. I live next to a lake so I have no basement either, actually I have never lived in a house with a basement. So I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Looks like your doing a good job though.
polaris192

Postby Landon on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:47 am

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the nice comments. :) Been a little slow on the progress lately. Work is nuts.
I did get a chance to install some lighting and add some trim.
I dont think I'm gonna go to nuts with the trim. Its damn hard with all the
goofy transitions from concrete to wood. Should be able to finish it out pretty nice anyway.
I think my next project will be to blast a hole through the wall with a 3" concrete bit using a Bosch hammer drill. Gonna use the hole for plumbing for the utility sink. After that I need to install the electrical for pumps and lighting. Really gonna load up on the outlets. After thats done I'm going to install a counter/cupboard combo that I'm gonna use as a water test/quarantine tank station. Still haven't made up my mind on what to do with the floor. :?
Heres a couple of updated pics!

Later all! :D
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:59 pm

why not just a cheap linoleum(sp)?

OceanNwisconsin

Postby polaris192 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:40 pm

any updates? like the progress so far! Also your question about what to do with the floor, why not just use regular floor paint. It's far cheaper than epoxy and its not like you have forklifts driving over it all day. If you do use regular floor paint be sure its oil base though. Obviously water+ laytex paint don't hold up together, but if you use a good oil base you will be just fine and save about $100. Just a thought.
polaris192

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:12 am

i wouldnt use floor paint IMO...

on my setup,thats in the basement with the stand right on the basment floor that is painted, the paint is peeling off because of the saltwater. BUT it should be stated that i am quite careless with water changes cause my drain is 2 feet away from the sump.

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Landon on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:26 pm

Hey guys! I've put this project on hold for a bit for the summer. I'll be picking up on it again soon. The floor is definately the next step. I think I might just leave it the natural beat up concrete, only because I think regardless of what I do, aside from some kind of industrial epoxy application, I will be putting more maintenance into it. Hopefully by the time I get tanks, a sink, and the water testing station installed there wont be a ton of floor space anyway. I did find some heavy rubber mats I could lay on the floor that are especially designed for wet spaces. That way if there is any hydronic pressure in the future, I wont be out the $$$ I spent on the floor. Thanks for the feedback and look for an update soon! :D

lhb
Landon

Postby Landon on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:46 pm

Hey all,

I decided to get my ass in gear and make some progress on the fish room. I still have to get the electrical in, hopefully this weekend...
Thanks to Toddah I now have a main tank for the room. I plan on rebuilding the 110 with pretty much the same design that he used. (That undersand manifold intrigues me to no end.) I was able to frame out a stand for the tank this afternoon with materials left over from past brick paver jobs and other landscape construction ventures. Gonna put a 3/4" plywood deck on the framing and wrap it in a little rough sawn cedar and it should be good to go for the next steps. Think I'll build the sump next.

If I can stay at this weekend Im gonna finish the trim, paint the ceiling and dive into the electrical. I will update again soon! :D

Heres a couple of pictures of the mayhem!
Still a little work to do... gonna build a deck underneath for the sump.
Thanks a million for the tank Toddah!
This is the little water testing/mixing station... gonna mount those blue bins on the wall for holding test kits and other goodies...
Landon

Postby Carinya on Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Lookin good. :D

Keep the pictures coming. Some of us have to live vicariously through your fish room...
Carinya

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:25 am

ahh I recognise that tank!! that was mine before i sold it to todd!! gladd to see it will be put to good use.

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Landon on Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Hey everyone!

Thank you for all the nice comments and feedback, they definately help
me keep my head up and stay focused on the project.

I was able to get all the wiring done this weekend. 7 outlets in all. The
installation pretty much went off without a hitch. I put a GFCI at the
beginning of the loop and ran a wire to a spare 20A breaker in the panel.

I also painted the ceiling and some of the trim.

I painted the plastic wood grain trim on the tank also. I prepped it with a
light sanding, then cleaned it up with a bit of thinner. After thoroughly
masking the tank off I sprayed it with Krylons plastic paint "Fusion". I put
on 4 coats. I'm very impressed with that paint.

This week I plan on removing that big ugly old gas pipe that cuts through
the room, and trimming out the stand in a bit of cedar.

I'm getting really excited knowing that some of the rougher setup stuff of
the room is out of the way, time to get to the fun tank stuff.

Thanks for looking! Hope to update again real soon. :D

Just needs a little dressing up.

A cleaned up view, the rolling wood cart is temporary. An ATO will sit there later.

A cleaned up view of the water test/work station.
Landon

Postby mfd78 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:02 pm

I was hoping you were going to brace the bottom of your stand! :wink:

Looks good though. We'll be having a meeting in that room before you know it...

Steve
mfd78

Looking Great

Postby Toddah on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 pm

I have lost MANY hours of my life staring into that glass box, I hope you get a much enjoyment from it as I did.
Room looks fantastic. I am just so happy to have a basement again I could just *hit.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General