Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Landon on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:08 pm

I got a light! The Aqualight Pro 2x250 HQI MH. I bought it through Living Art. Priced at around $775 after tax for the month of September. As usual Paul and the staff provided absolutely top notch service. (Thanks! :D )

I ended up painting the floor with gray Drylok floor paint. I'm very happy with it so far. Hopefully it will hold up well.

I have to go to a wedding Saturday, but plan on applying some elbow grease to the inside of the tank with a bit of vinegar and warm water on Sunday.

I like it!

A perfect fit!

Updates real soon!
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Carinya on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:26 am

Floor and light look great. Wow, this is going to be some nice setup!
Carinya

Postby afilter on Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:42 am

Hello,

I have been watching your post for awhile and the room is looking great! I am envious. :wink:

What are your plans for the actual Setup?

Are you planning on a sump? In the long run I think you will be hapier if you do. If so before you proceed I would strongly urge you to consider a reef ready tank. I have not priced them for a while, but I think you can still get the glass for a 110g for under $300 (someone comment if I am off base).

You have spent a lot of time and effort and $ on the room, just might want to consider the tank. The 110g you have could make an excellent sump as well.

If not sump then what you have is looking great.

Have fun.
afilter

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:12 pm

that tank(all though its kinda dirty in the pics so you cant see) is better then reef ready.... it has a near full length horizontal overflow!

looks good, but i think your gonna be disappointed with the drylok paint... saltwater is brutal!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby spbreeder on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:39 am

I agree Eric, Todd set up a great system though it is hard to see in the photo.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby Landon on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:57 am

Thank you for all the feedback. I would like to set the tank up just the way Toddah had it. The only thing I would like to do different is the amount of sand. I don't think I want a DSB. I hope I can still set up the manifold similar to the way he had it.

Other than that I will be bugging Todd with pm's and try to bribe him into an evening of service for some plumbing help as I consider any advice he can offer invaluable.

Ocean, I have a gut feeling your right about the paint. I plan on getting some heavy duty rubber mats for around the main tank area to try and keep the bulk of the water off the floor.

Looks like my fine afternoon of fishroom fun might get axed. Gotta replace a wax ring on the upstairs toilet. :x

Thanks again all!
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Toddah on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Ain't that the *hits
Sorry, couldn't help myself
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby afilter on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:33 pm

You are set then, I thought It looked like a standard 110g.
afilter

Postby Landon on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:54 am

I got that wax ring fixed and was still able to get to some tank cleaning.

A cleaned up shot of the overflow.

Cya Soon! :D
Landon

OH Sure PUNISH ME

Postby Toddah on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 am

I Really miss my tank!
I guess I will just have to live out my reef life thru this thread.
Looking really good!
I like the light !
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Landon on Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Well I had the pleasure of visiting with Toddah last night. I picked up his Dolphin 2100 pump, the same pump he used for the system before. I got to check out his nano and sump also. I had a blast! What a talented guy. I feel a lot better about taking on some of the plumbing and building the sump now. I realized I am going to have to add some shelves or something on to my stand to accomodate for the pump and skimmer... whoops!

Feedback from all of you reefers is precious to me so I thought I would ask for an opinion on my next purchase, the skimmer...

So far I have my eye on a AquaC EV180 with the Mag7 Pump. Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? It seems like it has a lot of nice features, just curious if anyone has been hands on with one.

Thanks all!

Heres the pump with a few pieces of the old plumbing Toddah sent with so I could have something to go off of...
Landon

Postby kjbudsberg on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:34 pm

I am truly envious! I am what most would call a "lurker" here, but I am always tempted to come to the meetings and meet the faces and reef tanks behind the posts. If you even host a meeting, I'll be there if at all possible!!!
kjbudsberg

Postby Landon on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 pm

I decided to put together a small tank with some of the spare stuff I had laying around. I plan on using it for odds and ends... a place to stick interesting things from my other tanks for observation and grow out. I have some mushrooms in my nano that are not super happy with the MH that I think I might stick in there. I would like to get my hands on a couple of different macros also. I grabbed the chunk of rock from Petworld in Madison. Ereefic has a couple of small chunks of base rock I plan on adding this week also.
I picked up a 40 Breeder for the sump and plan on starting construction of it this week.

I thank you for the comments Kjbusberg, I need to get to the meetings also. I had other things planned during the BBQ but it sounds like they had a blast. :o

Heres a pic of the 10g.
Landon

Postby Landon on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Hole drilling is fun.

A friend of mine loaned me his shop for the afternoon. If anyone needs to borrow a 1 3/4" diamond hole saw send me a pm.

First I rigged up the drill press so the drill would reach the tank.

Following Toddah's guidance I built a dam out of plumbers putty and filled it with water. Set the press to 650 RPM and slowly worked the bit down. Success!

Hole 2!

A little clean up and voila!

Plumbing this week!
Landon

Postby Landon on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:55 pm

I was so pumped. I got a call from the glass company telling me my 1/4" baffles were all cut and ready to go. I got me some silicone, some denatured alcohol and some masking tape. I drew my lines on the outside of the tank for alignment of the glass. I found a site suggesting masking the edges of the silicone joints to produce a nice professional look. I taped it all up and started siliconing and then my noob skills started running the show! :o This was my first experience with this and it went about as well as I thought it would. I pulled the tape off before the silicone had dried enough. It stuck to the masking tape and pulled all the silicone out of the joints! This marks the end of round 1!! I feel like Glass Joe at the moment... Image

Feeling Confident! (Notice Inspector In Background)

Awww Man!!

Be ready for Round 2!
Landon

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General