Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby afilter on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Not to worry the silicon should scape off with a razor blade once you let it dry. :wink:

I like the tape idea. Only thing I would do different (besides letting it set overnight) is to cut a straight edge with a razor along the edge of the tape and then pull the tape.

Good Luck,
afilter

Silicone notes

Postby Toddah on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 am

One thing to remember, Silicone WILL NOT stick to silicone! so be sure to remove ALL traces from the glass to get a good bond. this is one of the reasons people fail at trying to do repairs on a tank is they try to resilicone over the first layer and IT WILL NOT STICK to itself.
If pulling the tape is the worst mistake you make you are a better man than I :D
Most all expirenced DIY's are full of " I would NEVER do that again stories"
Keep up the good work
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Landon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:43 am

Thank you for the input guys your suggestions really helped.

Frankensump is complete. My silicone job makes me chuckle everytime I look at it. I went a tad crazy. I think I might build another one this winter when work slows down just to practice up. I would use it for the prop tanks that will be installed next spring/summer.

I got all my plumbing parts last weekend and FedEx delivered the bulkheads today. I still have to do a little woodwork and painting on the stand but after that I should be ready to get this thing plumbed up.
A couple of pics...

FRANKENSUMP!

Plumbing waiting to be plumbed.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Are we a little compulsive about neatness?

Postby Toddah on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:36 am

Even I dont line up all my plumbing parts like a little army :D

Everything is looking GREAT :D
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Landon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:52 am

:lol: That may be... but you do have an inclonometer!

"I cut a 17 Degree angle marked with an inclinometer on a threaded PVC fitting and glued it to a board and then threaded the caps onto the PVC and drilled them with a drill press."
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Toddah on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:24 am

No if I could only spell inclinometer, :oops: I was a product of the Phonics expirment in school, AND I was a teenager in the late 60'S :shock:
No wonder I have brain damage
Toddah

Postby CollegeReefer on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Why is the one baffle at an angel?
CollegeReefer

Postby CollegeReefer on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Why is the one baffle at an angel?
CollegeReefer

Postby Landon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:05 pm

The angled baffle is to hold back sand. The middle portion of the sump will be a refugium area with a DSB.
Landon

Postby Landon on Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm

All plumbed up. Everything is done. I ordered an AquaC EV-180 with a Mag 7 pump. Also ordered a 300W Hydor Theo heater. Im gonna hook up 2 Seio 1100's to aid in water movement. I will update soon!

Landon

Seio 100 placements

Postby Toddah on Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:24 pm

I had 2 1100's in the tank they can be tiewrapped to the return tubes on the corners and aimed at the front center for a really good random water flow.
Thank Looks GREAT. of course I could be biased :D
Toddah

Postby Landon on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:30 pm

Hey All,

I am currently running a water test on the tank and plumbing.
Here are a couple of things I ran into...

1. OMG when I unplug the pump the tank drains into the sump!
I got a PM to Toddah and got some advice on creating a siphon break in the return lines. I kind of put it in the wrong place though... when I plug the pump back in it shoots water out of the tank for about 5 seconds. :oops:

2. Hmm... the skimmer box keeps draining super fast.
My wife remembered Toddahpedia saying something about drilling holes in the caps on the overflows. Got out the drill, put in a few holes and bingo problem solved.

I have been playing with the levels and making small adjustments the last two nights and feel things are getting tuned in just right as far as the filtration goes.

Therazorsedge came over last night to peek around and dished out some useful suggestions. What a great bunch MARS is. :D I hope I can pay you all back someday for all the wonderful advice!

I got a box full of goodies from Marine Depot today. The skimmer, heater, a thermostat, and various other things. (Also got the "Clownfish Just Arent Funny" T- Shirt)

Here are a couple of pics of some of the new progress...

EV-180 w/Mag7 Pump/300W Theo Heater

Toddahs Plumbing design in action! Lots of little PVC chads floating around. Gonna do one more cleaning before I start installing sand and rock.

Sump in action.

Thanks for looking all!
Landon

PVC bits

Postby Toddah on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:50 am

Those bits are a great way to see where the water is flowing. they will also be the first thing to start growing great purple stuff.
Toddah

Postby Landon on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi all,

Things have been hectic in my neck of the woods but I have been squeezing in as much tank time as possible. Everything went well with the plumbing and water test so I decided to order some live rock and sand. I ordered 100 lbs of uncured rock from Living Art and 200lbs of sand. I'm going to pick it up on Friday night.

I am going to cure the rock in a garbage can that will later serve as a top off resevoir.

I decided to move the nano into the fish room to make a little more room upstairs. It turned out to be a pretty easy adventure.

Anyone have any good information about float switches? I emailed California Reefs but have not got a response.
Landon

Switches

Postby Toddah on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:17 am

I snagged some off Ebay for like 5 bucks each, that was some time ago but I would check there. :D
Toddah

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General