Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Landon on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey all,

I recently acquired a pair of my favorite fish from Meisen. They are a mated pair of Pygmy Angels and I just love them. They are very active and playful and very social. How fun! Thanks Mark! :D

The algae bloom has died back and been grazed down so things are starting to look a little cleaner. I added a frag of Alveopora and a frag of hammer coral from my nano and they seem to be fairing pretty well. I still plan to wait a few months before adding more. The fish are entertaining enough for me at the moment.

The 110 is pretty well set for now. I have all the little bells and whistles tuned in just how I want its a good feeling. The AquaC skimmer is doing a great job, the JBJ ATO is doing its job just right. I got the Algae Free magnet holders for the Seios and all kinds of other little necessities. Time to relax and enjoy. :D

I am having a hair algae problem in the nano that I am going to attack full force starting this weekend. I'm going to chronicle the battle here with photos and a little journal in hopes that if my efforts are successful they may be of help to others... look for an update on Saturday.

See ya at the Swap!

I wasnt able to get a shot of the Angels together, but thought this was nice. Alveopora was pretty crabby that I turned the lights back on! :lol:

A lil cleaner all the time.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Toddah on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:44 am

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!
GREAT JOB!!!!!
I could not be happier the tank went to such good keepers!
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 am

Looks very nice - nice to watch the tank progress!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Aquatic_Matt on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Been watching your thread for a while. Just thought of a couple of questions for you. What happens when the power goes out. It looks like your sump would overflow. Also aren't you worried that your pygmy angels are going to decimate the corals that you put in the tank. From what i know they are notoriously bad. Just my 2.
Aquatic_Matt

Postby Landon on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:10 pm

The returns have siphon breaks installed which stops the flow. When the power goes out I get about a gallon of water on the floor which is no sweat as the room is set up to take water on the floor. As far as the angels go we'll just have to see. I dont plan on letting anything decimate corals. So far they havent touched the Hammer or Alveo. Hopefully they will be satisfied with the rock and their food. :)

Have you had bad experiences with them? Mark mentioned they were nibbling on his LPS a bit. Got any horror stories for me?
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Aquatic_Matt on Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:41 am

No personal experience. Just a lot of stories from customers. They definately seem to like LPS and Clams from what i hear.
Aquatic_Matt

Postby Landon on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Hello again!

I have made a few changes in the fish room. I removed one tank and converted the nano into a frag station. I remounted the Sunpod and put the Aqua C on the tank in a different place. I made some baskets to keep live rock rubble in. I used a pvc floor strainer and some sch 40. Just stuck 'em together and drilled some holes around the sides to let water flow through them. It should make the tank very easy to keep clean and organized. I stuck a few frags in and they seem happy. :)

I think I'm going to start an expansive Zoanthid collection in the 110. The colonies I have seem real happy in there. And I have always been very interested in them. I plan on switching the bulbs to 20K's in the next couple of weeks. I currently have 10K's. I hope to see a little bolder colors.

So far all the livestock seems to be getting along well. The Angels are still behaving for now... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want to add a nice pair of True Percs and then be done with fish.

Other than that things are going great. My wife and I found out that we are having twins! We are just wild about it! Things are gonna start getting interesting around here. :D

Heres a couple of pictures...

The converted tank... I plan on making more little shelves out of egg crate...

A little closer...

A little closer yet...

The strainer on the bottom of the pvc to hold the rubble in the column...

A glimpse in the 110

Thanks for looking all!
Landon

Postby Carinya on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Gigantic congrats! That is wonderful news about the twins. When is your wife due?

Tanks look great too.
Carinya

Postby tim on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:27 pm

Congrats on the twins!!! Kids change everything, for the better!
tim

Postby Landon on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Thanks! My wife is due September 5th. Two days after our wedding anniversary! Looks like we'll be trading in romantic anniversary weekends for crazy birthday parties but oh well! :D

Getting married and starting a new life with someone was a welcome change, and I am excited to see what kind of changes kids will bring.

Well put Tim. I can't wait!
Landon

Postby Wulf on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:41 pm

I have two daughters and could not be happier. It does put a dent on how much money you can go out and spend, but it well worth the effort.

Awesome tank BTW. That is about the size tank I eventually want to get. Not too big, not too small.
Wulf

Postby Landon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Wulf wrote:I have two daughters and could not be happier. It does put a dent on how much money you can go out and spend, but it well worth the effort.

Awesome tank BTW. That is about the size tank I eventually want to get. Not too big, not too small.

Thanks Wulf. I have been real happy with the size of the tank so far. It seems to be just right.

On another note...

I have gone through a few changes that happened pretty abruptly with the fish room. I am tearing down the little frag tank I just set up. I still plan on setting up some sort of frag system in the not to distant future. For now I am going to focus all my efforts on building up livestock in the 110 and tweaking my perams.

Things are pretty well set up and now and time will tell how the operating of the tank will pan out.

This thread has been hit quite a bit, it seems this community is interested in what has taken place in my basement. I urge anyone who is embarking on a new journey to document your process as I have. It's been so much fun sharing all of this with you.

I'm going to start a new thread that will focus on live stuff in the 110. I have no intention of abandonding this thread as I'm sure upgrades will be done to the room in the future, but for now I am happy as a clam with what I have, and I want to relish in it for a while.

Thanks to you all! :D
Landon

Postby Landon on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:56 pm

Hey all,

Been quite a long time since I have added any new hardware so this post has been pretty quiet. I am going to bring it back to life a bit and document the construction of a new top-off/salt water mixing station. I also have a Korallin calcium reactor coming on Thursday and am planning on taking some photos and documenting its set up and operation.

Pics and a post on Thursday!

Keep cool everyone!

Landon
Landon

Looking forward to seeing your progress

Postby Toddah on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I am still stringing along for the ride
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby tim on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:12 pm

What about some of your new livestock? Thoese pictures are always nice too...... :D
tim

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General