Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby Landon on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Livestock pics real soon too. I have been running like crazy being its my busy time of year and the wife is on bed rest with the twins. I have procured all kinds of new undersea goodies that I would like to share too!
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Landon on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:21 pm

A few pics of livestock!

LPS and the little sun coral. Hermit was flexing for the photo.

Dispar Anthias hanging out.

Blue Zoas are growing real good. Started with 1 Polyp 6 months ago.

These are hanging around from the first rock of Zoas I ever bought. I still find them hiding on live rock from my first tank. :D

I got this little Cinnamon to hang out with my GBTA. They are super tight.

Yellow Tang is still doing great.

Shrimp hangs with the Zoas.

FTS.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Longinus on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:07 am

looking great! I especially like the shrimp and zoas :)
Longinus

Postby Landon on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Reactor came today. The directions are a little more confusing than I had hoped for. I have a feeling there is going to be a bit of a learning curve. If anyone has had experience with calcium reactors and has any advice please share it! :D
Gonna build a shelf for it tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get the Co2 tank filled?

Landon

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:05 pm

What specific questions do you have about running the system? As far as getting CO2, I only know Madison sources:

http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Slakker on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:27 pm

Ooooh...shinies!
Slakker

Postby Landon on Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:01 am

I found a spot in Fort that will do cylinder exchange. Rockwell Rental on Rockwell Ave. $12.00 got me a fully loaded brushed aluminum tank. What I was most confused about was how to feed the unit. The instructions from Korallin are pretty confusing. I found this article: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attac ... id=3580762
So far its been very helpful. I realized I needed another pump to feed the unit. I wonder why when Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot sell these as packages they don't include them. I picked up a Tom Aqua Lifter as that seems to be a pretty good supply pump. I should be able to get to work on it tonight or tomorrow. More pictures and fun to follow!

This should do the trick!
Landon

Postby BraenDead on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:32 am

For feeding the unit sometimes people will use a T with 1/4" tubing off their return line to feed the reactor (that's what I use). This way you don't need to add yet another pump, and the few drops per second aren't going to affect the flow of the return.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Landon on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Hey all,

So far I am not having any luck getting my Calcium Reactor going. The instructions that came with the unit are nothing short of the worst I have ever seen. I though things were going good but then a myriad of problems arose. I cant seem to get the Co2 BPM low enough and the effulent dpm slows to a stop after I have it tuned in. I am super frustrated so far. I think I might just have to unplug it till the weekend and start from scratch, its driving me nuts.

:x !
Landon

Postby Landon on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I started over on the reactor project and it payed off. I found out what was causing all the problems. I had the feed line for the Aqualifter in my overflow section of the sump and it was sucking a ton of bubbles. Duh! I moved it to another part of the sump and voila! Bubble count and drip count are holding steady. Hopefully things will continue this way. After 2 days of testing things are holding steady in the tank and the reactor as far as Dkh and ph. I did notice a bit of a Ph drop in the tank itself. I set up a maxijet with an air injector and ran a tube outside and that seemed to get things back in check.

I found a fan at Menards today and installed it to blow across the water surface. Temp was rising a bit in the day time when the halides were on. So far its working like a charm. Another investment I think I will make is a Ranco temp control. Seems heaters are always coming on when the temp is above what there therm is set at. Drives me nuts.

Heres the reactor all set up:

New fan installed to cool things off a bit! 8)

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Landon

Postby Landon on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Took this video tonight with the vid feature on my camera. Pretty fun.

Landon

Postby Longinus on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:02 am

Lookin good! I like the fan, I may have to make a menards run myself :D
Longinus

Postby Landon on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm

So far the fan works like a charm Long :)

Turns out over the weekend I procured some more new hardware. A JBJ Arctica chiller and a Oceanic 65 Gallon.

I ordered a Ranco Dual Stage temp controller. Hopefully this will be the trick to getting the temp swings down to a science. Unfortunately the temp in the fish room is controlled by mother nature more than I would like.

I am thinking I would really like to somehow plumb the 65 Gallon into the rest of the system and use it for frags. I need some ideas. I wonder if I could run it with the same Dolphin 2700 I'm using now if I just cut open one of the returns. Hmmm... :help: What do you guys think. I will provide more plumbing details if someone has an idea they would like to share.

Later all!
Landon

Postby Landon on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:57 pm

I have a PH question. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Pinpoint ph monitor and calibrating solutions. After 2 weeks I'm finding that I have a steady PH of 7.7 to 7.8. I would like to see the PH be as close to 8.3 as possible. I hooked up a power head with an air line leading outside but after a week this did nothing to raise the PH. I tried a bit of Kalk but the PH would only spike by about .2 and then return to the 7.8 area soon after. It does not fluctuate much at all.

What do you guys think? Is this a problem? I don't have the calcium reactor running atm due to it dropping the PH by around .3-.5. I do weekly 10% water changes. Things in the tank seem to be real healthy and happy. Any suggestions?
Landon

Postby CUNAReefer on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 pm

I would use some super buffer. It will raise your ph and alk.
CUNAReefer

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General