clam pinched meat at one end ?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

clam pinched meat at one end ?

Postby mcmarkrazz on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:35 pm

my clam looks like something hurt the flesh or such..its a dorosa and been in my tank for 5 years or so..it has a crease at one end and the meat is retracted abit.. no one is bugging him but it doesnt seem to be getting any better ..any ideas ?
mcmarkrazz

Re: clam pinched meat at one end ?

Postby Socratic Monologue on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 am

You might do a little research into 'pinched mantle disease' and check some pictures to see if it matches what your clam looks like. Doesn't sound like PMD to me, though. If you haven't added any other clams to your tank recently, then my understanding is that it couldn't possibly be PMD, since PMD needs a host and is typically fatal.

Could be pyram snails. Again, not likely if you haven't added another clam lately, but from what I read pyrams can cause this sort of symptom. Google up some images and check your clam for these.

There might be a small Aiptasia or other bugger on the clam's shell at the area where the mantle is retracted. Even excess algae on the shell can irritate the mantle. There might be a nearby coral that is sending out sweepers at night.

Otherwise, if the clam is actively growing I wouldn't worry too much. You can tell it is growing if you see a white band of shell at the top edges of the shell. If the shell is dark/algae covered all the way up to the top edge, then it isn't growing, or isn't growing very well.
Socratic Monologue

Re: clam pinched meat at one end ? pics now

Postby mcmarkrazz on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 pm

clam pic 2.jpg
clam pic 2.jpg (3.86 KiB) Viewed 289 times
[/attachment]
clam pic 2.jpg
clam pic 2.jpg (3.86 KiB) Viewed 289 times
there has been the same 3 clams in my tank for 5ish years with-out any issues..only change was from t-5 to led in lighting
Attachments
clam pic.jpg
clam pic.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 289 times
mcmarkrazz

Return to MARS General