12 gallon Fluval edge tank?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

12 gallon Fluval edge tank?

Postby ashley84 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 am

Anyone have this tank? What type of stand did you get? Taking down my 92 gallon for a smaller tank and love the look of this one
ashley84

Re: 12 gallon Fluval edge tank?

Postby ashley84 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Can I have salter water in this tank?
ashley84

Re: 12 gallon Fluval edge tank?

Postby ObeyMyDog on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 am

I successfully kept a pair of clowns in a 6 gallon Edge for about a year before upgrading to something larger. I'm not sure I'd really recommend the tank though, as it has some unique design elements. The opening at the top of the tank is roughly 6x6, so cleaning can really become a chore. Also, you have to be really selective with the rock you'd be adding as everything has to fit through that hole. I also was not a fan of the lighting, but I know they have done some changes. I believe it now includes LEDs (mine came with halogens). I know different mods have been done to alter the lighting and filtration, but those also generally result in drastically altering the appearance of the tank. While it isn't a true "all in one", everything is concealed inside the framework.

Overall those tanks are a case of function taking a distant second to form, but if you're aware of that going in, it can make a really interesting showpiece. Just don't expect it to be nearly as easy to work with as a standard tank.
ObeyMyDog

Return to MARS General