possible saltwater store in janesville, please post thoughts

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby eco reef on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Was wondering how manny people from janesville area are on this forum!! Also how manny madison area people would travel to janesville if there was a fairly large saltwater only store. I am looking into purchasing a complete saltwater only store in another state and moving it to janesville. please post up a i need help convincing my wife that this is a good idea!!!
please ask other forum members to post too!!!!
eco reef

Postby starboard on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I would go if you beat or meet competitors pricing and most importantly gave back to the club community. I feel working with the clubs hand n hand is the only way for you to thrive in this economy. I drive to Milwaukee just to visit Best Fish for that reason. Good luck!
starboard

Re: possible saltwater store in janesville, please post thou

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't get the impression that Janesville is the place to locate a high-end hobby store (reefkeeping seems to me a high-end hobby). Picking up an existing business and moving it seems to make sense only if you are moving it into a market that both needs said business (which is what you're asking, I take it) and also has the local economy that will support the business (which I'm skeptical that Janesville has). If visitors from Madison are going to be a substantial part of a business's clientele, then that business might be better off in Madison.

You might see what sort of information you can get out of people who have started SW-only stores in the last decade or so. Make a trip to Minneapolis and talk to Li and Fritz at Saltwater Empire. Midwest Coral Farms is new in the last few years, too. Interestingly, even some well known SW stores also carry FW (Old Town Aquarium comes to mind here, and Best Fish too); might be good to find out what the financial reason is for this.
Socratic Monologue

Postby tattooreef on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm

i would go for sure. i live in beloit and i drive to janesville and madison for my saltwater supplies , fish and corals and i know a lot of people that would do the same as long as the quality of product is good.
tattooreef

Postby Jeromi on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I would travel to Janesville if there was nice stuff and a well run business.

Jeromi
Jeromi

Postby eco reef on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 am

Socratic Monologue good point, But my thought with janesville being a good location besides the fact i live here. Is that i is located between Rockford and Madison. I have to drive to Milwaukee or chicago to go any where that has any real selection. No offense to Live Aquaria Art, which i have been to manny times. I will not be another over priced store! I will not be looking to get rich just make it pay for itself. I will have rewards and loyalty programs . Looking like i will have about 30 tanks ranging from 360 gallon show tank down 2 20 gallon fish tanks. with 9 frag tanks.

thanks all for input and keep it coming
eco reef

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

eco reef wrote:Was wondering how manny people from janesville area are on this forum!! Also how manny madison area people would travel to janesville if there was a fairly large saltwater only store. I am looking into purchasing a complete saltwater only store in another state and moving it to janesville. please post up a i need help convincing my wife that this is a good idea!!!
please ask other forum members to post too!!!!

I was the GM of a LFS here in Madison for a few years and I can tell you it's a lot of time and commitment. You will not survive with saltwater only just a fyi...The initial start up costs business are exspensive and its great that you came across a store that is selling everything but as they say you need to spend money to make money. Hope you have some deep pockets! I would for sure come to Janesville to your fish store if you willing to open one as long as you had a great selection of fish and corals to choose from. I would love to see something like Midwest Coral Farms had if that where possible. Wish you the best!!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby bradhass87 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm

I would love to have a local salt water only store located in Janesville, but I doubt that you will get the business unless you expand into internet sales and even then I believe it would be a hard row to hoe.
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby Merasti on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

It would be great to see a store in the Beloit/Janesville area, driving to Milwaukee and Madison can be a pain. Saltwater only would probably be tough as you are betting on people driving from Madison and Milwaukee which have some very nice stores to compete with. Rockford only has a couple stores though, Petland and Wayne's Feed that I have found and it is a short trip up to Janesville. Pondered this same thought when I saw a reef store in MI for sale not to long ago, but it seemed to be in a better location (population wise) then Janesville.... I am sure the local community would support it if you where somewhat competitive and had decent livestock, which would really depend on the volume you could move.
Merasti

Postby Nemomma on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 am

I would come if it were on the north side.
Nemomma

Return to MARS General