Aggressive Coral Beauty Question

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Aggressive Coral Beauty Question

Postby tattooreef on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:36 pm

We have a coral beauty in our tank and he was the biggest fish. We found a good deal on a mimic tang and put him in. There was a little bullying but thought it would subside in a couple days. Woke up the next morning and the coral beauty had killed the tang.

We got a yellow tang and the same behavior started immediately. Is it a tang thing? A size thing? I read that the beauty would be intolerant of fish added after it, (I found this out after the fact) but is there anything we can do to help it? We only want one more fish to complete the tank and the beauty isn't having it. We put the tang in the refugum until we can give him to a new home or figure out a solution.

If we put the beauty in the refugum, put the tang in the tank for a couple days and then put the beauty back in would that matter?.......
tattooreef

Re: Aggressive Coral Beauty Question

Postby jelly on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 pm

put the tang in the tank and beauty in teh sump for a while.. that should help but you might need to remove him from the entire system.. how big is the tang compaired to the angel.. size does mater a little if the tang is smaller or teh same size that might be a reason to fight. if the tank is bigger it might not fight as much.. but then again some fish are just assholes and really dont care..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby tattooreef on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:41 pm

the mimic tang was the same size and the yellow tang is a little bigger than the coral beauty. i had to tear 1/2 my tank apart to catch the yellow tang. i'm going to try and build an egg crate box and put the tang in it with a small piece of rock for a week and see if that'll help any. if not, i'll be fishing and catching the coral beauty and put it in the sump and put the tang in the tank until i get frag tank or a separate tank set up and put 1 of them in the new tank.
tattooreef

Postby nasanek on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

I have run into similar situations before with clownfish and six-line wrasse in a smaller tank. The only useful advice I got was that the tank likely needs to be rearranged for the coral beauty to act less aggressive. If I were you, I would get the coral beauty into the sump and put the tang into the tank. Rearrange as many of the rocks in the tank as you can to make the tank look "new". Try reintroducing the beauty after a month or so. By then the tang should be nicely acclimated, the coral beauty will not recognize the tank as it's old home, and will not act territorial anymore.

I don't think separating the tang with a container inside your tank (with the beauty) will help. It will just stress the tang and reinforce the territoriality of the coral beauty. Just my 2 cents...good luck!
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby tattooreef on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 pm

thank you for the advice . thats what i'm going to do tomorrow. i'll be taking out most of my rock to catch the coral beauty so i'll be rearranging the tank after he goes in the sump and the tang will go into the main tank and maybe i'll just put the coral beauty in the frag tank when i get it up and going soon.
tattooreef

Postby cr8signs on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Diddo to nasanek's advice
cr8signs

Return to MARS General