Reef keeper lite plus

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Reef keeper lite plus

Postby starboard on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Anyone own one of these and/or have any opinions ?
starboard

Re: Reef keeper lite plus

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm

I don't own one, but I have an opinion. If you haven't already, consider the Apex Lite; it is $100 more than the RKL+, but is fully accessible/controllable from the internet. This also means that when the unit has a glitch, Neptune can telnet into the unit and fix it (this happened to mine recently, and I would've had to send the unit back if it weren't internet accessible). I've read that DA firmware updates are few and far between, while Neptune's are frequent. The latest firmware update really improved the look/functionality of the web interface for the Apex.
Socratic Monologue

Reef keeper lite plus

Postby starboard on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 pm

You can get the net hook up for the RK though I believe. Am I mistaken? I guess I'll find out lol
starboard

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 pm

I believe that you can; I don't think you can control anything via the net, though (it is only to view tank status). The Apex is fully controllable via the net, so if, for example, you get an email/text that the temp is too high, you can remotely turn off the lights.
Socratic Monologue

Reef keeper lite plus

Postby starboard on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

That would be nice. I think for my system the RK will suit me fine #fingerscrossed
starboard

Postby sslak on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Been using a ReefKeeper2 for 5 years now, the only issue is that the display doesn't light up as bright as it used to.

Other than that, no issues and it works great. I love it, I would highly recommend Digital Aquatics products.
Steve
sslak

Postby Chyendra on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm

I have the Reefkeeper Lite and I really like it. My only complaint is that the center outlets on the PC4 flicker occasionally. This doesn't cause problems for me because I have my heater and metal halide in those spots, but IT IS a major problem if you have to use those spots for something sensitive like a dosing pump. I use the outer two outlets for my dosing pump and ATO, and haven't had any problems. In the future, if I wanted to add another dosing pump, I would have to get another PC4 which is kinda of a pain. For me, having a cheaper controller, is much better than having no controller, because the Apex was out of my budget.
Chyendra

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 pm

KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Reef keeper lite plus

Postby starboard on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am

I could see getting the apex if I were out of town on a regular basis , but I take 2 week long vacations a year and a few extended weekends. Besides I look at my tank enough when I'm home I would be an even bigger geek if I watched it from a far.
starboard

Return to MARS General