Frozen food and our local options

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby bradnamber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:09 am

Recently I have been very frustrated with the quality of frozen foods sold by our local fish stores. More filler and un-necessary additives are being used while they tell you it's better for the health if your fish. So you buy this food... Go to use it and it doesn't even break apart while thawing to be served. So you break it up with your baster so you can actually use it. You better forget about using juilians thing with the new foods as well. When you do put it in your tank it releases a oil, a visible amount of oil. Then you look at your skimmer as your done feeding and the foam it is creating is crazy. Along with any other area you have bubbles occurring, like your drainpipe location in your sump. It seems that we try to provide the best water conditions while proving our corals and fish with the best nutrition but with all the food options you are adding to our own headaches.
So the solution we as hobbyists have come up with is to rinse the food before introducing it into our tanks. Somehow this seems counter productive to me. Either I am washing contaminants off food which would Indicate bad food, bad food prep, or bad product knowledge. Or I am washing an additive added knowingly by the manufacturer. Granted, garlic extract and omega 3 are beneficial to fish health but it is unknown at what saturation level, and what the pros and cons of injecting them constantly into a controlled environment mixed wih other corals, invertabraes etc that do not need it....like the oil dispersant used in the deep water horizon accident. Sure worked great for fish but now it killing the more important building blocks of the ocean.

So, in essence I am looking for a local answer to a lot of people's frustration with the food available to us.
I feel that the only food I have found to be ready to add directly to your tank and not require rinsing is Rods foods. Though nobody carries it locally. It is also made very close, in Illinois. I understand that limp it's is made locally but that has to be the greasiest food available.
I hope to see Living Art drop limpits like a bad habit and bring back a Quality food that the local reefers would choose to use. A nominal price increase, as limpits just disclosed and will be passed onto consumers, would not be frowned to bring rods back.

I look foreword to everybody's response to this building problem.
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Re: Frozen food and our local options

Postby jelly on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 am

just few things i want to say.. limpit makes his from freash sea food so if its oily its because the fish and and muscles he uses..
if you dont like the food you buy at the store go out get the ingrediance you like and make it your self.. i do it and its not hard at all.
lastly if you cant find what you want localy order it online a few days waiting isnt going to hurt you or your reef..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby bradnamber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 am

I agree that limpits makes his food from fresh product. Though it also lists additional ingredients like garlic extract, (which is very oily) omega 3(which is an oil) and a few others. I currently use limpits, and am very happy with the products fresh base ingredients, but the additives are frustrating. Even in his coral blend it has additives based on fish health and not corals.

I own and run a company and understand overhead very well, but at the same time, the turnaround on say straight cyclopeeze(from living art) has to sell faster than limits coral blend.
If limpits provided a "blend" that was additive free and less oil at the same price(as I'm sure it could with less ingredients), I would be purchasing it instantly. Even if it was 1.00 more I would buy it. Look what cyclopeeze goes for compared to a blend. Cyclopeeze is like gold.

To be honest, I do not have the biggest interest in preparing my own food and freezing it for future use. I would rather be able to buy such good from my local store, as it is easier, while providing a small margin of profit locally. I would even purchase frozen prepared food from you if it was clean and additive free.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bi*ching about it, but it seems its a well known and widely agreed upon subject, and a good conversation should be had. Heck, while buying limpits from Paul's I was told to rinse it off first, so I can't be the first.
I suppose a summary is I thought were progressing to take un-necessary steps out of our hobby, not put more in. I wanna spend my time perfecting other components of my tank...
Brad Richards
bradnamber

Postby jelly on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:24 am

when i make my food i use fresh sea food. broccoli and carrots for the tangs and then ill add some garlic and phyto... have you ever talked to ron about his food and see if he would be willing to make one thats aditive free? ron is a very good guy and may even give it a try..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby bradnamber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 am

I have not. I wanted to get a bigger input before I asked for another product line. There would have to be a decent interest to cover production, packaging sticker and smaller market share for previously offered products.
Brad Richards
bradnamber

Postby Landon on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 am

What negative side effects have you seen these foods have on your reef other than the effect it has on the skimmer? Does it seem to be hurting your livestock? Are you tying it directly to necrosis/death of your corals and invertebrates?

Obviously these aren't petroleum based oils your talking about, in that situation the negative effects would be quickly visible. So what are the negative effects that the oils you mentioned are having? Do these types of oils exist in the sea in any form? Would corals or fish ever be subject to them?

I really love Cyclopeeze. Have used it for years in my crazy erratic feeding regime, but theres one thing thats very interesting to me about them. Are the Cyclops something that corals and reef fish would ever come in contact with in nature? They are harvested from an arctic lake with a SG of 1.060 and a ph of 3. So not something that the reef creatures would ever stumble upon. Essentially we are feeding a completely foreign food source to our pets, albeit a tasty one.

I do rinse my PE Mysis, but have only ever done so as it was my understanding that the water they are packed with can contain nitrates. Just using a bit of dilution to remove the nitrate laden water. Not sure this is correct, just what I came up with in pondering.

Just curious if you can elaborate more on what you see as the detrimental issues with the food blends.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby starboard on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 am

jelly wrote:when i make my food i use fresh sea food. broccoli and carrots for the tangs and then ill add some garlic and phyto... have you ever talked to ron about his food and see if he would be willing to make one thats aditive free? ron is a very good guy and may even give it a try..

+1 Talk to Ron. I'm positive he'd love your opinion.
starboard

Postby Best Fish on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Limpits Reef Buffett outsells any other food in our freezer...by far. In addition we feed it here in the store. We do not tell our customers to rinse it first, in fact the opposite is recommended. While we do initially introduce this food to people that are not familiar with it, after that it sells itself when the customer sees how the fish respond. I have not received similar feedback that you expressed. In fact we also have customers coming up from the Chicago area that use Rod's Foods. They tried Limpits and many have now switched or use both depending on availability. I think over the years the only negative feedback I ever receive is from FOWLR people that have larger fish...they do not like that it has the different (smaller) size particles. Now this is not to dismiss your displeasure, in fact if that was the kind of feedback I was getting, I would not carry it. Why would I want to irritate my customers...lol. Your review is just very surprising to me based on our experience. It's been one of those rare products that come along I can comfortably recommend and everyone that tries it is happy. I have club members that were familiar with Ron's products, but the vast majority never heard of him or his food. So the repeat sales have nothing to do with him, rather everything to do with results. This is a fairly large sampling of people as well, out of the 2000 plus people that signed up for our email flyers, I am sure less than 30% heard of his food from forums, etc. Although we do have a nice following from clubs, its by no means where the majority of our new customers come from. Again, I am just pointing this out to dispel any thought that the food is popular because of who makes it. I have easy access to Rod's Foods and actually carried some of his products for awhile. Was a fine food but I converted 100% after seeing equal or better results with Limpits. Couldn’t justify utilizing the freezer space for both Rod's and Limpits. I would say the three foods that I have had the best success with for those finicky eaters are Limpits, PE Mysis and Nutramarova. Now your suggestion that Living Arts drop Limpits wouldn’t fly around here, I would have a lot of unhappy and disappointed customers. I guess that seems like a little extreme suggestion, I actually commend LA for providing their customers with a choice of foods. Maybe requesting him to add Rod's would be an alternative that could make everyone happy.
Brian - "Best Fish" -Milwaukee
Best Fish

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:45 pm

jelly wrote:when i make my food i use fresh sea food. broccoli and carrots for the tangs and then ill add some garlic and phyto...

Though I question the value of land-based vegetables for feeding marine organisms, I think this comment makes a lot of sense. It seems like the solution to the problem of what you see as crummy processed foods is simply not to use processed foods. Just use the whole food organisms (mysis, brine, cyclops, chopped larger fish/crustaceans/molluscs, eggs, nori, phyto...) that are appropriate in size for the target animals, add whatever additives you like (garlic, Vit C), don't add the Corexit, and feed. And save yourself a ton of money in the process.

I kind of thought that those prepared foods were mostly for novice hobbyists or people with one little tank, anyway.
Socratic Monologue

Postby starboard on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 pm

I couldn't agree more Brian. I use PE Mysis , Limpits , and Nutramar :) always keep it stocked.
starboard

Postby cr8signs on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 am

This seems to be a great topic to be discussing. Does anyone have "recipes" that they would like to share? I have very finicky eaters, there is very little they like except brine shrimp and flake food, both being very poor choices. They seem to enjoy rod's , but it is hard to come by sometimes, would really prefer to make my own.
cr8signs

Postby johntroxel71 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

cr8signs, you have tried Limpits and it does not work for you?
johntroxel71

Postby starboard on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm

IMO nightcrawlers work the best.
starboard

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

Personally I'm huge fan of Limpits food so much I asked Paul to carry the food in his store. Never had a problem affecting my over all water quility and all my fish seem healthier then ever. Limpits food contains everything I like to feed at a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong I still like to mix it up with other foods like PE Mysis shrimp, Hikari spirulina brine shrimp,Nutramar Ova,live brine soaked in Selcon, and dry food like New Life Spectrum.
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Merasti on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:10 pm

I have used limpets now for about a year, maybe longer and have had great success with all of my fish, especially when trying to get fish to start eating in quarantine. Have not seen any negative effects on my system thus far and I do not rinse it.
Merasti

Next

Return to MARS General