Frozen food and our local options

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Frozen food and our local options

Postby Rslinger on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I must say I didn't read this whole thread, but I use Limpit's and I have never had a problem. But that being said I am a very small feeder. This package of Limpit's I bought a month ago will probably last 9 months. I run a SWC skimmer and I am using Tropic Marine Bio-Active reef salt. Never had a skimmer issue with it what so ever. I only feed once a week or so. and I feed the fish just some junk flake once a week also. I have tried other foods and found them also to be effective. But Limpit's seem to be the one I always want to buy. Great price, great quality, and I meet the man once seems like a great guy. just my 2 cents.
Rslinger

Postby plainrt on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Nice post brad...........Sound like a big assssssssss hole.If had issue you should have made a better post.I have been using his food for some time with out issues.
plainrt

Postby bradnamber on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Unfortunately that was not the point. I have privately and publicly apologized to Ron for the comment about "dropping it like a bad habit". That was a brash statement and didn't deserve it.
From reading that post on WRS, I also see there are other people that are having the same issues as myself and shoota. It was not a fabrication, but a real issue in multiple tanks.
I am still wanting this to be a constructive forum, with positive feedback for a common cause.
To make our hobby better.
I want to support our local reefer that also has a small local business, and I have provided him an additional opportunity to promote or grow his company and community....if he chooses to do so.

I hope to still have good feedback and an indepth conversation to the un-solved issues, without the slander on one phrase I used. Every other point is Valid, and is STILL yet to be talked about, or any answers given.
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Postby barbianj on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm

bradnamber wrote:Unfortunately that was not the point. I have privately and publicly apologized to Ron for the comment about "dropping it like a bad habit". That was a brash statement and didn't deserve it.
From reading that post on WRS, I also see there are other people that are having the same issues as myself and shoota. It was not a fabrication, but a real issue in multiple tanks.
I am still wanting this to be a constructive forum, with positive feedback for a common cause.
To make our hobby better.
I want to support our local reefer that also has a small local business, and I have provided him an additional opportunity to promote or grow his company and community....if he chooses to do so.

I hope to still have good feedback and an indepth conversation to the un-solved issues, without the slander on one phrase I used. Every other point is Valid, and is STILL yet to be talked about, or any answers given.

Did you vote in the WRS thread? So far 80% have voted to keep the food as it is, with 20 votes total so far. One person is speculating that it caused skimmer overflow. Personally, I don't see a benefit from adding amino acids or garlic, so I voted yes to omit them. I would continue to use the food regardless. If it really is a "building problem", let the people decide.
barbianj

Postby Lonelyreef on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

So now that we are all over the shall we say a little over the top start to the topic. Lets all tone it back down and just concentrate on the meat of the subject. I'm not sure if there is a poll on mars but everyone on mars feel free to visit the wisconsin reef society aka wrs. And go directly to limpits sponsor area and join in the discussion there and check out the site maybe even become a member. There is a poll up about the food and limpit is actively envolved in the discussion. I would also have one last question and that would be how many people use phytoplankton in there tanks to feed corals because to be honest that sets my skimmer off worse than anything else? Just curious.
Florida boy
Lonelyreef

Postby bradnamber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am

I hate to keep at this topic, as it has obviously sparked a serious divide, debate and discomfort for some members.
At the same time, the more looking I do, the more information is found. Factual scientific evidence for both sides.

Not sure if people thought I was targeting Ron, or limpits, but I do not know him, so am coming from a third party view. Also, it shouldn't matter that he is local or from Egypt. I am not buying a service from him, I am buying a product. He is not feeding my fish and corals directly, but selling me the product to do so. Obviously I would rather support a fellow local business in Wisconsin that pays our state tax and supports our local economy. Hands down, every time.
Maybe that's why I'm so passionate about him now trying to provide me, and the 500+ views on this topic...nonetheless possible hundreds more by outside searches, with some great points about his product and its components.
This might have even turned into the best marketing campaign a small business with low overhead costs for marketing, distribution, and sales, could ask for.

So, PLEASE help me boraden my knowledge on food, and give me some feedback on these questions:
1.Are the added components such as garlic, amino acids, vitamins, and omegas beneficial or not? ...and in what quantity is beneficial vs adversely effecting water quality?
2.Is there a difference in what I should be feeding my Corals vs my Fish?

And some direct questions to Ron, from Limpits Reef, based ONLY on his Coral Blend.
1. What are the multi vitamins that are added and in which quantity?
2. What are the amino acids added?
3. Would it be possible to list the guaranteed analysis like other frozen foods? Protein, fat, fiber, moisture, etc?
Brad Richards
bradnamber

Postby bradnamber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

To keep people updated here, limpits posted this on WRS;
Just to update on this.
I will have some test packages of Coral Blend finished this weekend and will be available to those of you who are seeing skimmer issues.
There will be 4 variants and it will be a blind test.
No new additional ingredients will be added to the Coral Blend test packs, only omissions and process changes. So if you have already been using the Coral Blend you are not adding anything new to your tank you have not already been adding.
If you are interested in participating please contact me via pm for more information on this.
If you have any questions feel free to post them here.
Thank you

And this was my response...a little more indepth and scientific hypothesis to the skimmer issues.
I am very interested in these samples you have made. I believe that if you have a test with no selcon or garlic, I think me and shootas problems would disappear. It seems those are two larger factors with increasing surface tension of the water and not allowing the bubbles to "break" and seperate organics. It will effect tanks differently by either overflowing your skimmer if you wet skim, or the bubbles Burst before they reach a density high enough to make it to the cup, thus releasing micro bubbles into the tank.

My reasoning behind this hypothesis is selcon and selco are high in omega 3's, which chemically are HUFA and PUFA. They are EFA's... Or essential fatty acids. The three main EFA'S are:
ALA, EPA and DHA. DHA is heavily involved in nervous system fuction and development. EPA impacts circulatory health, and ALA seems to also help with circulatory and cardiovascular. Both DHA and EPA can be derived from ALA, and all ultimately find origin mostly in marine phytoplankton. EFA'S do break down rather quickly.
This also could correlate the response on phytoplankton having the same effect on a skimmer.
Just my thoughts.....

Any thoughts or feedback??? Maybe if somebody could poke Meisen and get his response to it. Or if there are my other marine biologists, chemists, or other scientists to agree or disagree.???...???...???
Brad Richards
bradnamber

Postby shoota on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 am

shoota

Postby O&J'sdad on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:08 am

That is interesting. What brand salt do you and Brad use. I use reef crystals and Limpits food knocks down the head off my skimmer, just like all other frozen foods.
O&J'sdad

Postby bradnamber on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 am

I use reef crystals as well. I know shoota uses ESV B-ionic mix. It is a multi part mix, mixed by weight. I also use that mix for a different tank, my frag tank setup. Trying some controlled experiments with multiple factors. But both seem good.
Brad Richards
bradnamber

Postby limpit on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:13 pm

bradnamber wrote:Would it be possible to list the guaranteed analysis like other frozen foods? Protein, fat, fiber, moisture, etc?

I have posted the Guaranteed Analysis information in my sponsor forum on WRS.
http://www.wireefsociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13660
limpit

Previous

Return to MARS General