id please

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

id please

Postby gordon on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 am

What is this spreading on the rocks? Looks like a pink or purple daisy. It always has 8 "petals" and is tight to the rock about 1/4 inch in height or less. Sensitive to touch, opens only with lights on. Not Aiptasia maybe a small feather duster?

Good , Bad or ?
Attachments
x.jpg
x.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 497 times
gordon

Re: id please

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 pm

8 "petals" = 8 tentacles, so it is an octocoral (soft coral). Feather duster radioles (the 'feathers') don't have a set number, and are always more than eight so far as I know. The fact that it is diurnal suggests that it is photosynthetic, so again, not a tubeworm. Probably some sort of Clavularia. A nice hitchhiker.

Judging by the greens and reds in the photo, you have a high nutrient tank with minimal grazing, so you'll likely see lots of these sorts of organisms on your LR. Makes for a really pretty tank, IMO.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Chyendra on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Also known as clove polyps, they come in a couple different colors. I have blue ones in my tank and they only spread slowly, and don't seem to bother my other corals.
Chyendra

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 am

That would be called "sympodium", although it looks nice it can quickly take over spreading over Zoanthids and Palys...etc irritating them to the point that they don't open. They kind you have in the picture is more of anuisance. I like star polyps I have it in my tank but on its own rock and it doesn't touch any other rocks or corals so it doesn't spread. If you want to get ride of it use a toothbrush or pull the rock and scrub them off.

If you visit Pet World in Madison in a short amount of time it has consumed there display tank!! I personally would get rid of it!!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

MCR, I think you might have your genera mixed up. Sympodium is pretty well known to be a very slow grower (hence its high price). You might be referring to Briarium, which most people agree is an aggressive grower in captivity.
Socratic Monologue

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Socratic Monologue wrote:MCR, I think you might have your genera mixed up. Sympodium is pretty well known to be a very slow grower (hence its high price). You might be referring to Briarium, which most people agree is an aggressive grower in captivity.

I disagree I was talking about two different types of coral. I have Briarium "star polyps" I have two different species in my tank and I was simply commenting on its nature.
I also have "Blue Sympodium" and some Clavularia "giant palm" in my tank.

Although it is tough to tell from the blurry picture it very well could be a type Clavularia or Sympodium but if it is same species of coral I have come across before IMO I believe it is a nuisance. I had large frag of "joker" zoanthids I had to toss in the garbage because it was growing all over the polyps and could not remove them even after many attempts of coral dips in lugols solution and coral RX and didn't want to take a chance of them spreading to other colonys. If you need proof of what it can do in a short time take a trip to Pet World here in Madison and take a look for yourself!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby MadCityReefer on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:09 pm

gordon wrote:What is this spreading on the rocks? Looks like a pink or purple daisy. It always has 8 "petals" and is tight to the rock about 1/4 inch in height or less. Sensitive to touch, opens only with lights on. Not Aiptasia maybe a small feather duster?

Good , Bad or ?

Regardless of what it is, if it looks like this get rid of it!! You'll be a lot happier you did...I'm just saying!!

KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby shawn_r_g86 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

thay look like micro palys
shawn_r_g86

Return to MARS General