Worst luck ever...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Worst luck ever...

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 am

So in addition to my other posts... We now have bristle worms.. I checked over my new live rock at the store and at home but apparently over looked them... They are pinkish with spiky looking things in its body? They almost look like the centipede of saltwater world...

P!$$ed!!!

So now here is the question... How the heck do I take care of this problem?!
~Newbie~ :oops:
TanyaBloom

Re: Worst luck ever...

Postby Rslinger on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 am

bristle worms are fine. They are good scav. They are ok. How often do you feed your tank?
Rslinger

Postby jelly on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 am

who told you bristle worms are bad.. they make great additions to your clean up crew like Rslinger.. at some point you will find pods and they are good to...
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 am

photo_bristleworms.jpg
photo_bristleworms.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Here they are...
3 or 4 of them have wrapped up my dead blenny and are snacking on him...

So leave them in there?

LFS told me they are horrible and can harm the tank..

So??????? Not true..?

Errggg.... :?
TanyaBloom

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

Oh to answer the other question.. 2-3 cubes of thawed brine shrimp per day.. One at lunch-ish time and one at dinner-ish time.

Anemones get to have the frozen (thawed) krill shrimp, plus spot feed the brine shrimp to the anemones.
TanyaBloom

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

That's a lot of food IMO.

My fish are fed pellets once a day and 1 frozen cube of mysis every other day.

Bristle worms are a good thing. They are a good part of your clean up crew.
Blue2Fyr3

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 am

We used to feed them only 1 cube of brine shrimp a day, but they act so aggressively when they are eating and they eat it so fast they act like they are starving.... I was never really sure how much exactly they are supposed to be eating. Everyone says whatever they can consume in several minutes... but I have found that most of the time when I feed them, they are consuming almost all of the cube every time.

So what do you think?

And.. I will leave the bristle worms for now. When does it become a problem?
TanyaBloom

Postby jelly on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 am

Most the LFS Herr in Janesville are full of shit. I don't believe shit they say now and I ask people on forums. Wait until they tell you the hard purple aglae you will grow is bad. I don't ask questions her and I don't buy fish at them. When I do they always die after a few days. Madison a d Milwaukee have the LFS you want to check out a d actuly know there shit
jelly

Postby jelly on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 am

They won't become one.
jelly

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks, Jelly. I was starting to get that impression. It seems like everything I have read in books and online and what you all have told me is the opposite of what the LFS have been telling me. Yes, I am having many problems with keeping my fish alive (obviously by my previous posts). Even in my freshwater tank.. All my parameters are normal and the fish just keep dying off, however I have a fancy tail guppy who is still staying strong. I've noticed this I have some strong survivors but most the other ones die. Can I transport fish in my vehicle from Madison to Janesville? Would they be OK in that long of a car ride? This is the only reason I haven't raided the Madison stores.

Which specific stores in Madison do you recommend?
TanyaBloom

Postby TanyaBloom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 am

Example:

I read in one of the books that I rented from the library that there is no such thing as too much current. So we bought a Marineland Powerhead 1200 and put it in there and the fish seem fairly happy. LFS told me that the current wouldn't really benefit anything but my anemone.

:|

I need to go back and RELEARN everything, because all the knowledge that I have thus far has been acquired from the LFS in my area... And obviously this was my first mistake.
TanyaBloom

Postby bradhass87 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Bristle worms as stated above are good.

You CAN have to much current depending on what you are trying to keep.

Fish will survive the trip from Madison or Milwaukee. Make sure to bring a cooler with you to help keep the temp steady and keep the fish in the dark. Fish travel better when kept in the dark, it keeps them from being stressed.

Many people on here are very knowledgeable and have real life experiences versus the appointed "fish" guy at the lfs. So feel free to keep the questions coming!

Also I would look to feed Mysis shrimp instead of brine shrimp, if memory serves me correctly brine shrimp is low in nutrients.
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

TanyaBloom wrote:So in addition to my other posts... We now have bristle worms.. I checked over my new live rock at the store and at home but apparently over looked them... They are pinkish with spiky looking things in its body? They almost look like the centipede of saltwater world...

P!$$ed!!!

So now here is the question... How the heck do I take care of this problem?!

Check out this thread it will help you btw I wouldn't take anymore advise from your local Janesville fish store, IMHO

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/132956-t ... look-here/
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Rslinger on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Yeah you are feeding way to much in my reef I feed a prepared food like limipts twice a week, and pellets in a very small amount 2-3 days a week. Brine shrimp is junk. No goodies in it. I only feed nem maybe twice a month. They keep splitting so I know there not starved. I feed about half a regular eating shrimp uncooked at a time to them. Don't be shy just ask.
Rslinger

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Instead of feeding regular brine shrimp, use spirulina brine shrimp or soak regular brine shrimp in Selcon. I also recommend feeding your fish a least once a day, sometimes I feed twice a day and my water is PERFECT!!! You can go a day with out feeding them but I don't recommend this unless you a have a lot of little bugs in your tank for your fish to eat like copepods and amphipods. Your tank will not able to support this since you just set it up!

Amphipods are an important food source required by some fish species to survive in the wild. Many of these fish will starve to death in an aquarium if and until they can be weaned off to other, more convenient hand fed foods such as frozen Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp or other finely chopped meaty fare, such as Krill. Some fish, such as the Mandarin/Dragonette and Sea Horses are found by most aquarists to be extremely difficult to get to eat anything other than amphipods/copepods.

Amphipods are also a main food for many Sandsifting and Sleeper Gobies.

http://www.marinedepot.com/American_Mar ... FS-vi.html
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Next

Return to MARS General