Help Algae boom

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Help Algae boom

Postby gsrsk8er on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 pm

My father in laws 55 gallon FOWLR tank is experiencing a major algae boom. i went over to check it out and tested his water.

nitrate - 5-10 ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
phosphate - 0 ppm
ammonia - 0 ppm
salinity - 1.022
pH - 8.2
calcium - 480

He had a heater get stuck on and the water temp was 85+ for a few days before he realized it. He is running one T-5 coralife fixture and 1 VHO fixture. The bulbs are at least a year old. The tank has been up and running for about 3 years. He uses tap water and treatment to do water changes and top off. We cleaned the tank last friday and removed alot of the algae, along with 15 gallon water change. Here is what it looks like today, alot of the algae is already back. Im assuming the excessive heat for the long period of time triggered this boom, but any advice is appreciated.

gsrsk8er

Re: Help Algae boom

Postby jelly on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I would say that your nitrates and phosphates are higher then you see on a test.. the algea is taking it out and making it to 0 and when you remove it they climb again.. I would also try to get the salinity up and stop using tap water even if you treat it.. also if the bulbs are a year old try to replace them. Bad bulbs can give you algae problems..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

+1 on what Jelly said. That looks like it could be cyanobacteria, though. Is is slimy, or is it hairy? If slimy, it is cyano, and you might consider treating with Chemiclean if you don't get a handle on it via the other methods. If you're not experienced using chemiclean, ask here for advice or Google "chemiclean crashed my tank".
Socratic Monologue

Postby barbianj on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:28 am

Since it's a FOWLR, simply turn the lights off for a few days, and repeat as necessary. Run them when you want to see the fish.
barbianj

Postby gustomatic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am

I am not sure what kind of lighting you have, but for me this problem occurs when it is time to change out my T5 Bulbs. I now change them out every 14 months or so. If I leave the old bulbs in to long I get the algae problem.

Jeff
gustomatic

Return to MARS General