HELP, screwed up tank overnight

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

HELP, screwed up tank overnight

Postby DDD33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 am

I forgot to turn off the pump that delivers RO water for refilling water to the sump, I usually turn it on while working on the tank and turn it off when I have added enough or I leave. Well I was watching basketball on the tank side off the wall so all I had to do was go into the unfinished back side and unplug the pump but I forgot. To make things worse, I decided to turn on the RO which feeds this fill bucket so I added RO water all night until the sump overflowed. My salinity is at 1.019 from about 1.024-1.025. I have added some salt to the sump and have it up to 1.020 but don't know if I dare continue to raise it and we are suppose to leave town this afternoon to go to the Dells and stay over with friends so time is a factor. If I am going to pile stupidness on myself I also lowered the temp by about 4 degrees. Basketball, beer and reef tanks are apparently not a good combination. Any advice at this point would be great, just cleaning up the water mess on the floor now. ARGH.
DDD33

Re: HELP, screwed up tank overnight

Postby Rueg on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 am

That isn't that big of a drop in salinity - shouldn't be a problem. Try to get it back up to 1.023 before you leave - and finish getting it back up to normal when you get back. Not that big of a temp drop either. You should be fine.
Rueg

Re: HELP, screwed up tank overnight

Postby DDD33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks, I will add a bit more salt. Now if I only knew how to keep my wife from reminding me I had another water problem.....AGAIN.
DDD33

Return to MARS General