Opinions on lighting for my tank...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Opinions on lighting for my tank...

Postby 2kids1dog on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I have a 40 gallon breeder with live rock and several differnet zoas. Since I talked myself out of getting a tattoo (again LOL) I decided that this Summer's project would be to upgrade my tank with a new light. Right now I have a 2 bulb T5HO and an actinic LED strip and everything is healthy looking but not really growing. I also have a Duncan and some pulsing Xenia...
Can you folks share some ideas on some not really super expensive lighting? I only plan on keeping the Zoos in there, along with the other 2 types I have. The tank is an odd size too...36"longx 12" deep and about 16" tall. I was considering a 4 bulb T5HO...does this sound good? Note---I am not a DIY type person either LOL!
Thanks for any ideas!!!
2kids1dog

Re: Opinions on lighting for my tank...

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 pm

You don't have a 40 breeder; a tank of the dimensions you gave holds about 30 gallons. Worth knowing, if only for when doing water chemistry calculations (adding calcium, doing water changes, etc).

I don't get much into zoas, so other folks will be more help with lighting recommendations (though a 4-lamp T5HO sounds about right to me on that tank. You could just add another 2-lamp fixture.).
Socratic Monologue

Postby plainrt on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:08 pm

4 bulb tek fixture would be good bang for your buck and could grow anything with good brand bulbs.........I just put a maxspect razor led fixture over my tank and im liking it.Also best fish had some finnex 4 bulb 36 inch t5/led fixtures on closeout for between 150-175 bucks if remember right.They nice fixures for money and couple hundred bucks off reg price.
plainrt

Postby 2kids1dog on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 pm

I have found some lighting ideas on Amazon...does anyone on here have a Nova Extreme fixture? Like it or not? The price for a 4 bulb system did not seem too bad...
2kids1dog

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I have 2 Nova Extremes. Both have really loud fans.

One is a 4X36" on a planted FW tank. Both ballasts had to be replaced within a couple years (neither under warranty). The other is a 4X24" on my fuge. No problems except the end caps rust out from the salt spray (no glass top on the fuge), and the lamps get jammed in them, and I have to bust the endcaps out and replace them.

The lamps that ship with these are better than either Coralife or Aquatic Life. Overall, they (the Currents) are about what you'd expect for a middle-priced fixture.
Socratic Monologue

Postby plainrt on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

i would rather have the new finnex at best fish for dirt cheap and really amazon for a light lol?
plainrt

Postby 2kids1dog on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I contacted Best Fish in regards to the finnex mentioned previously---they are out of them and will no longer carry them, so it's not possible to do that. So I was just researching online for something in that price range (about $200) and came across the Novas...there is also a Wavepoint that I read about too...just want to hear from people that actually have a particular system so I'm aware of the good/bad before I do buy something.....
2kids1dog

Postby plainrt on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14 pm

next best imo is a used tek fixture................They are damn near bullit proof.
plainrt

Postby plainrt on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am

plainrt

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm having trouble getting registered on WI reefs..are you able to get the phone/contact number for that last posting you showed me...I would like to talk to him but he didn't leave contact # and I can';t post on there yet :( If this is possible just let me know back on here please...thanks much!!!
2kids1dog

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Me again! Anyone on here have the 4 bulb Coralife T5? I've seen some good reviews on that one too...looking to stay within about $250 if possible
2kids1dog

Postby tomstechnic on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm

2kids1dog wrote:I'm having trouble getting registered on WI reefs..are you able to get the phone/contact number for that last posting you showed me

www.wireefsociety.com

If you have any problems signing up, shoot me an email at info@wireefsociety.com

-KT
program n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input into error messages - vt. To engage in a pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
tomstechnic

Postby plainrt on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm

with all these cheaper fixtures your not gonna be happy with colors of the cheap bulbs or growth.So then ou will be adding 80 bucks to that cost for new bulbs to replace crap ones.You are WAY WAY way better off picking up a used tek fixture that will be better built and just all around better fixture.These can be had for 100-175ish used then buy some new ati bulbs and enjoy.I have ran t5s for years and played around with them a bunch.Trust me on this lol. That fixture in link is a pretty nice unit from what i hear also but i have never used one.Its a good price.
plainrt

Postby plainrt on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 pm

also a badass light.not the most sleek looking but will keep anything you could ever want in that tank

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/3711927539.html
plainrt

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:00 pm

2kids1dog wrote:Me again! Anyone on here have the 4 bulb Coralife T5? I've seen some good reviews on that one too...looking to stay within about $250 if possible

I would stay away coralife=junk
I highly recommend. Aquaticlife or tek light! I have 2 aquaticlife fixtures myself and anyone who has seen my tank can tell there quility fixtures!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Return to MARS General