Damsel in Distress!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Damsel in Distress!

Postby Reefer! on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I have a 30 gallon 3 stage refugium sump with some chaeto. I have not added a protein skimmer yet. I got some cured live rock and have been adding Seachem Stability. I have been testing my parameters for a few days, and my nitrates / nitrites / ammonia is all at 0 and my pH is about 8.1. I have been adding Alkalin 8.3 to raise it a bit. I asked an employee at Living Art and they suggested adding a fish because the bacteria needed some waste to feed from, so I purchased a yellow tailed blue damsel and added it on Saturday (today is Monday). I also added a scarlet hermit and two serpent stars that came on some red seaweed. I have not seen the stars since I added them to my tank. The hermit, although I never see him move, has changed location several times.

The fish has been hiding most of the time, initially he would eat. Now he has been sitting in the same spot all day and won’t move. I even put a flake right in front of him and he won’t eat it. He appears to be gasping constantly. I don’t know what to do, my damsel is in distress, Please help!

Also, the red seaweed I added is turning black at the stem. I have it anchored in some sand with a rock. Any idea why this could be? Is the rock causing plant death? Should I just let it float freely in my tank?

Joe

Ps, I have added vitamin / HUFA supplement from reef pure and PRO-CORAL A- ELEMENTS from tropic marine. I have a 48inch LED and a 600gph power head
Last edited by Reefer! on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reefer!

Re: Damsel in Distress!

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 am

Reefer! wrote:I have not added a protein skimmer yet.

Get one. All hardware should be in place before adding livestock, ideally.

Reefer! wrote: have been adding Seachem Stability. I have been testing my parameters for a few days, and my nitrates / nitrites / ammonia is all at 0 and my pH is about 8.1. I have been adding Alkalin 8.3 to raise it a bit.

Adding a buffer without testing KH is dangerous. Buffers increase KH (also called 'alk'), and only incidentally raise pH. Maintain KH of around 10, and if pH is low then increase oxygen exchange.

Reefer! wrote:
Also, the red seaweed I added is turning black at the stem. I have it anchored in some sand with a rock. Any idea why this could be? Is the rock causing plant death? Should I just let it float freely in my tank?

Most oddball macroalgae is not very hardy in the best of circumstances. You might try googling pics of red macroalgae to determine what species it is, and then research care requirements.

Reefer! wrote:The fish has been hiding most of the time, initially he would eat. Now he has been sitting in the same spot all day and won’t move. I even put a flake right in front of him and he won’t eat it. He appears to be gasping constantly. I don’t know what to do, my damsel is in distress, Please help!

Pics/video might help (of the fish, but of the whole system, too). Could be parasites ('ick'), could have been injured in the bag...not sure. Sounds like some sort of water quality issue...if you are not using RO water, it could be source water quality.

Reefer! wrote: I have added vitamin / HUFA supplement from reef pure and PRO-CORAL A- ELEMENTS from tropic marine.

Not sure what this is. Probably best to skip it unless you have some specific reason to dose it.

Also, what's the SG and temp?
Socratic Monologue

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 am

Reefer! wrote:I just set up my first ever 55g aquarium about 6 days ago (Tues 23rd). I have a 30 gallon 3 stage refugium sump with some chaeto. I have not added a protein skimmer yet. I got some cured live rock and have been adding Seachem Stability. I have been testing my parameters for a few days, and my nitrates / nitrites / ammonia is all at 0 and my pH is about 8.1. I have been adding Alkalin 8.3 to raise it a bit. I asked an employee at Living Art and they suggested adding a fish because the bacteria needed some waste to feed from, so I purchased a yellow tailed blue damsel and added it on Saturday (today is Monday). I also added a scarlet hermit and two serpent stars that came on some red seaweed. I have not seen the stars since I added them to my tank. The hermit, although I never see him move, has changed location several times.

The fish has been hiding most of the time, initially he would eat. Now he has been sitting in the same spot all day and won’t move. I even put a flake right in front of him and he won’t eat it. He appears to be gasping constantly. I don’t know what to do, my damsel is in distress, Please help!

Joe

Ps, I have added vitamin / HUFA supplement from reef pure and PRO-CORAL A- ELEMENTS from tropic marine. I have a 48inch LED and a 600gph power head

I would skip adding and vitamin / HUFA supplements at this time theres no need to. Just add a couple 2-3 damsels / starter fish to the tank along with some cured live rock and wait a few weeks for the tank to start cycling. Even thou a protein skimmer is a important piece of equipment it is not needed to have a salt water tank. I have kept many successful tanks without one. When you do get a protein skimmer save your money for a good one or else your tossing your money down the toilet! Do you have a sump system or hang on the back filtration?
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Reefer! on Wed May 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks everybody. I did a water change of about 5 or 6 gallons and the fish started moving about shortly afterwards. Damsel destressed! I have a lot of evaporation occurring and I think a cover needs to be built. I believe that the water evaporation is leaving behind salts, increasing overall salinity. I have a homemade sump / refugium with a HOB prefilter. I am currently working on making a skimmer out of an old venturi pump / skimmer, ill let you know how that goes. Ill have to buy a KH test kit, need to do some research on that. Ill cut out the dosing of vitamins, doesn’t sound necessary at the moment but ill also have to get to some research when I have the time. Thanks again all!
Reefer!

Return to MARS General