How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Coral king on Wed May 01, 2013 4:06 pm

I have a mushroo coral about 2in acrost when it is happy i would like to feed it to increase growth Can I feed it to much and hurt the shroom
Coral king
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby jelly on Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I wouldn't feed it.. it can lead to nutrient problems
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
User avatar
jelly
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: Janesville

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Rslinger on Wed May 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Only food it needs is light!!
Rslinger
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Cambria Wi

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Coral king on Wed May 01, 2013 6:41 pm

If all it needs is light why does it Inhail (compared to my other corals )my palet food.

Why does it even have a mouth
Coral king
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Coral king on Wed May 01, 2013 6:45 pm

As far as nutrient problems bring it on (not enough nitrates as it is to keep xania happy :( :(
Coral king
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Rslinger on Wed May 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I guess most of us are trying to keep 0 nitarte anyway. Your coral will catch random food of its own floating around your tank. With strong enough light it doesn't require more food. Little bits of left over fish feeding, fish poop, what ever other micro org. might be floating around will do the job. I do feed my lps twice a month or so. I have never feed a softy. Any mushrooms grow like crazy in my tank. I catch free floaters and toss them out lol. What kinda of light do you run? Usually when mushrooms get huge it means they are trying to take in more light.
Rslinger
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Cambria Wi

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby jelly on Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm

corals never need to be fed they will get most of there from the light like said.. they have a type of bacteria in them that gives them the color and feeds them.. 95% of the food they need is from the light and the other 5% is from what they catch in the water free floating.. if you only keep softies then nitrates wont hurt it to much but if your keeping lps and sps you will start to have issues. take the advise as you want but becareful with the nitrates.. they will give you an aglae out break and that can kill your tank if it over takes it and your LR will suck up nitrates and phos making the problem harder to fix..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
User avatar
jelly
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: Janesville

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Coral king on Thu May 02, 2013 5:35 am

I Run marine land reef capable lights with timer integrated. I could post pics but don't know how besides posting a link
Coral king
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: How often can I feed my mushroom coral

Postby Socratic Monologue on Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 am

Here's a good starter article on feeding (of both corals and corallimorphs such as mushrooms) by Sanjay Joshi:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/sbj4/aquari ... eeding.htm

Searching the better online magazines (Advanced Aquarist, Reefkeeping.com) will give you some decent articles to read, too. If you can find articles by Ron Shimek, he has been an advocate for increased understanding of the nutritional needs of both individual corals and the coral reef generally.

Eric Borneman's book Aquarium Corals has a good chapter on feeding; if you don't already have the book, it is well worth the cover price. Coral magazine also runs occasional high quality articles on feeding, and is also well worth the subscription price.
Socratic Monologue
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Oxford, WI


Return to MARS General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests